Drill, needs a motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a pillar drill that has more than 2" of movement for drilling pen blanks, trouble is most of the nice ones are well over £100. :evil:
I made a detour on the way home tonight and arrived home with this in the back of the car:
3636184913_4d2e7ddaec.jpg

3637003100_9a4af5f739.jpg

3636188007_ebc69b31f8.jpg

I know its not pretty, but then nor am I. No idea just how old it is but now the important bit:
3637005120_b28dafe01b.jpg

3637006046_d6f8df0323.jpg

Oh 3 1/4" of travel and all it needs is a motor! :whistle:

Anyone want to guess how much I paid? I will post the answer tomorrow evening. :D

Dave, I'm not one to gloat, but mine is definately bigger than yours. :wink: :wink:

1.jpg

Cheers

Aled

(who also needs a motor for his newly aquired pillar drill)

Nice find.

Now about the pulley. A company called Picador are known to make all manner of pulley's, shafts etc. A quick Google brought up no mention, in 3 pages, of the company, but lots of engineering suppliers type outlets.

Have fun with your new machine.

xy

DaveL":f3k2t0pe said:
Oh 3 1/4" of travel and all it needs is a motor!

I have me one of them beasts but mine doesn't have that collar on the depth stop. You may find if you remove it you'll have 4" of travel. The missing pulley is the same as the one you have, I imagine any stepped pulley that fits your eventual motor would do the job, don't think it needs to line up perfectly.
BTW don't bother looking for instruction/parts manuals etc., been there and done it and only found a one page schematic diagram which I can send you if you want a copy.

Well chaps I paid £5 for it on ebay. :D

I have a pulley and it is a Picador that the chap gave to me with the machine, it had rolled out of shot in the boot. :roll:
I could lift it in and out of the boot OK in the two parts that it is currently in, not sure I could pick the whole thing up. :x :roll: :wink:
Tom, thanks for the link to OWWM very useful, I would like one of those low speed extras, might try and make one. Looks to be a type of machine that was common in the 1940's and while it has been well used and abused I think it has many more years of life left in it.

I am have not decided what size motor to try and fit 1/2hp or 3/4hp, advice gratefully received.

DaveL":3pzlu673 said:
Well chaps I paid £5 for it on ebay. :D

I am have not decided what size motor to try and fit 1/2hp or 3/4hp, advice gratefully received.

Mmm, you sure beat me on price though :wink:

As regards a motor, a 3/4HP motor will be plenty (or so I'm reliably informed - Thanks Bob) it then depends on the bore size on the pulley, which on my drill is 5/8" (just under 16mm), and it's quite likely that yours wil be the same.

New motors are designed to fit into a standard frame, and 3/4Hp and 1Hp motors tend to be fitted into an 80 frame - that's 80mm from the foot to the centreline of the shaft. The problem you'll find is that an "80" frame motor comes with a 19mm shaft as standard, which means that you'll have to get the pulley bored out to that diameter.

A 1/2Hp motor usually comes in a smaller frame size, but then the standard shaft will be 14mm Dia. which will require the shaft to be bushed out to the required size.

Bob (9Fingers) has guided me to the 'bay, there are plenty of people selling suitable motors on there.

If you fail to find a local machinist, I'm quite willing to do the turning for you at school.

Cheers

Aled

I paid £25 for mine, it was in quite a state but seemed complete. It was easy to strip down completely, repaint and regrease. Mine has the original 1/2 HP motor which seems to be powerful enough to drive the 22mm drill bit that I've been using. One thing I did have to do was repair the on/off switch and run an earth to the main body of the drill and the motor.

studders":3vls7afo said:
I have me one of them beasts but mine doesn't have that collar on the depth stop. You may find if you remove it you'll have 4" of travel.
I had a chance to look at this and the collar was the wrong side of the depth stop ear, I now have 4" of travel and a usable depth stop. :D

I have also taken delivery of a 1hp motor, need to decide on how I am going to set it up.

The new quest is to find a suitable chuck key, I have offered up the ones I have and none fit. So it is a Jacobs chuck, marked as a 6A, the hole for the key is 5/16". I did a google and found a Jacobs site but they don't list a 6A chuck, any advice welcomed.

Not sure what make my chuck is, will have a look later, but its got a grip like a pitbull, one of the best I've had and I've not had any drill slippage at all.

A 1HP Motor!! :shock: Might be a little 'lively' on hand held stuff. Not that I ever do that of course. :^o :^o :^o

Well I bought the 1hp motor as it was a bit cheaper than either a 1/2 or 3/4 one. :shock: I figure it would just have an easy life. :)
I found this picture:
8696-D.jpg

So decided to have a go at putting the slow speed adaptor together, had this lot arrive today
3675525095_a67233e23d.jpg

Most of what is needed for it, a bit of stud for the adjuster and a small shaft to carry the pulley is all I need to find. 8)
And I found a chuck key. \:D/
So I just need to degrease the old bits, find some paint and fit it all back together. :whistle:

What a coincidence, my 1Hp motor arrived yesterday. I've not had a chance to do anything about mounting it yet - it looks like I'll need to make up a transition plate in order to mount it.

My drill also arrived sans chuck key. I'll have to have a look at the Chronos site.

Where did you get the belting and pulley?

Cheers

Aled

Back