Drill / Impact Driver - Ni-Cd or Li-on?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/12v-d-driver-3-bat+impact-driver-pid692.html

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the above Makita drill & impact driver set with 12V Ni-Cd batteries, but I'm not sure whether I would be better off paying a bit more to get the latest Li-on equivalent. I've seen a similar 9.6V Li-on set for about £40 more. It's only for home use so battery life isn't too important. I would be grateful for any opinions..

Thanks,

Richard.

I can't really help on the battery tech choice except to say I recently bought a Ryobi drill/impact set on standard batteries and it has been fine.

Worth looking at the Ryobi gear before you commit, especially as they have loads of other stuff for the same batteries (One+ is the logo i think).

Good luck

I have got the set on your post in Ni Cad. I bought it while it was on offer a little while ago and can't fault it. I already have two Makita drill/drivers a 7.2V and a 9.6V and have had brilliant service from both of them. (The batteries for the 9.6V have lasted over 15 years and I have just recently replaced one!) If you have the money go for Li Ion as these are far superior and have no memory problem. I am also well impressed with the impact driver that came with the set with plenty of power in it. HTH :wink:

I have both, the Ryhobi and the makita. The makita is better, but costs over double the price of the Makita. Is it twice as good? No, not really

I am a chippy, and have festool, hilti, bosch, makita, de walt and all sorts of 'top' tools. However, for 90 percent of jobs I take the ryobi set (fear of thieves) and it does just fine.

HTH

Neil

(PS the impact drivers are too powerful for some - they can shear the tops off screws easily, and this can cause problems)

I've had 2 Makita Ni-Cad drills and both lasted about 2yrs before the batteries died. I always recharged when they were empty and never took them off charge until they were done. I'm trying Li-ion now (Hitachi), time will tell.

Ni cad is very old technology now, in between that and LI-ION there is NI-MH which if you are on a budget maybe the one to go for.

I am a tradesman so need to use good reliable stuff I have the LI-ION kit from Makita very powerful and long lasting had it 2 years now, used everyday nearly.

rjb":4ax1b8uj said:
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm still not sure although I'm thinking maybe I should go for the Li-on set. This is the one I'm considering: http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/m...-batteries-in-metal-storage-case-pid8663.html.

Any more advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Richard.

I've had that set for a couple of weeks and they're the mutt's nuts.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=27790

I would definitely recommend them. I've got four DeWalt cordless drills which now just sit on a shelf in my workshop!

That price looks good, too.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Richard
I have the 18v Makita Li-ion Drill, Impact driver, Circular saw, etc and I can't fault them. However I am sure that the same tools from a different company would be just as good. The best thing about the Li-ion batteries is the fact that they don't lose their power anywhere near as quickly. For example you can use your drill today and then not touch it for a month or so and when you pick it up it will carry on as if you had just charged it. For someone who dosen't use their tools everyday this is quite important. You do not want to charge everything up whenever you go in the workshop.

Hope this helps

John

i have the 10.8v bosch driver, impact and angled and think its fantastic, probably the most used of my power tools so would recommend them to anyone

Back