drill /drivers and their demise or revival

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoggy49

Established Member
Reaction score
This might be the wrong place to post this. But does anybody know of a good way to continue to get good use out of a portable drill driver, once the battery's died. Maybe a mains attachment for use at the bench / in the workshop, just seems such a shame for otherwise excellent Dewalt drills to be ditched. Just hoping a good way to get continued use or recycle the drill for a different purpose.

Chas

I've seen someone on this or another forum with a battery drill hooked up to the mains, through a transformer of some sort. hopefully they will see this post and inform you of how to do it.

I have a small Dewalt drill/driver I have had for about 18 years now, it is no where as good as it was when new and if I need to use it I need to charge one of the batteries first as they no longer hold there charge for long. It is so handy though. I may still be able to get new batteries for it, if not I will buy a new drill. I have a drill press but the battery drill is so useful for things like putting hangers on or when mounting things to p,inths etc.

If new batteries are not available then it should be possible to get the originals rebuilt with new cells. This may or may not work out to be cost effective, but surely must be worth looking into.

I've found re-cell to be nearly as expensive as buying a brand new battery. I was quoted only £20 less than a new unit for my 24v NiMh Makita SDS+. That was only with a 6 month warranty where new OEM has 2 years.

If your DeWalt has the old NiCd 1.3Ah batteries, you can still get the 7.2v, 9.6v, 12v, 14.4v and 18v on Amazon. You can even get "copies" for half the price which are quite good.

bodge":1hiifaka said:
If new batteries are not available then it should be possible to get the originals rebuilt with new cells. This may or may not work out to be cost effective, but surely must be worth looking into.

Have a look at www.componentshop.co.uk , look under radio control single batteries, and build your own to match !

Many thanks all,

I've had a quick search and battery's are available. I think the next move would be to check the chargers are still OK, if they are then I'll invest in a couple of battery's for the Dewalt's. I've investigated replacing the individual "cells" but having to break what appears to be the spot welds and replace with what will be solder doesn't seem to be right for the job. but all of this input helps me make that decision if that makes sense, thanks.

Chas

Back