Drill & Counter Sink Sets - which are best?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I was about to warn you about some of the cheap Axi ones but those are colt which are supposed to be good..... and certainly not cheap.

I am aware of the price .... hence my request for other suggestions. However if these are really good then in the long term it would be better than the frustration (and cost) of the cheapo ones.

I do like those universal countersinks; the ones that can fit to any drill size from 3mm up to 9mm in diameter, IIRC. Famag do them and I'm sure Trend have their own as well. You can buy them individually (without a set of bits) and they're usually about £20-25, from memory. I'm sure Workshop Heaven stock the Famag one.

Unlike many of the cheaper stops, these ones have two screws and they do lock VERY securely. They don't slip or move, unless you have them butted up to your chuck. Another feature I like is that you can reverse them to use the 'flat' as a depth stop, in addition to being a countersink.

OPJ":1vkn25lp said:
I do like those universal countersinks; the ones that can fit to any drill size from 3mm up to 9mm in diameter, IIRC. Famag do them and I'm sure Trend have their own as well. You can buy them individually (without a set of bits) and they're usually about £20-25, from memory. I'm sure Workshop Heaven stock the Famag one.

Unlike many of the cheaper stops, these ones have two screws and they do lock VERY securely. They don't slip or move, unless you have them butted up to your chuck. Another feature I like is that you can reverse them to use the 'flat' as a depth stop, in addition to being a countersink.

Are these http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/dr ... -brad-bits what you mean OPJ? I could not find them on Workshop Heaven.

I have set of lip & spur drill bits (not Famag) so not sure if they would be compatabile?

Back