Dremel clone adaptor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
"With this adapter, you can attach your Dremel (M19x2) to your milling machine with 20mm diameter tensioning clips."

Any seller in the UK?!

They do make one with 43mm OD, same as a corded pistol drill.

https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Adapter-from-43-mm-clamping-diameter-to-Dremel-M19x2.html?language=en
There are lots on Thingiverse if plastic squirting is your thing.

What do you want the bit to look like that surrounds the thread? Maybe someone would tap a 3/4" BSF thread in the middle of an 8' x 4' sheet of 25mm steel plate for you, pop it in the post and you can sand off the excess.

3/4 BSF tap here: ENGINEERS 3/4" BSF HSS TAPER LEAD TAP GOLIATH | eBay
17mm blacksmith's drill here: HSS Blacksmiths Drill Bit Stepped 13mm Shank Bits All Sizes 13.5mm - 26mm Metal | eBay

"With this adapter, you can attach your Dremel (M19x2) to your milling machine with 20mm diameter tensioning clips."

Any seller in the UK?!

Can you show me what you want I am unsure what it looks like, I have made some parts for the Dremel but I would need to see what it is.

Dremel.jpg

Can you show me what you want I am unsure what it looks like, I have made some parts for the Dremel but I would need to see what it is.

View attachment 166387
ChaiLatte did make a good point, Phill05, and got me thinking whether it's a bridge too far. I'll explain...

It isn't a Dremel, first of all. It's a Maplin's "clone", a mini-grinder N17QN. No doubt it's a badged something, but I can't tell you what and obviously I can't ask them now!
(Had to just get a magnifying glass to see the above number, but also saw the diameter symbol "35mm" on the label. Methinks it must apply to the grey thread?)
I've a routing job to do, but it's too fiddly for my 1/4" router, so I thought of trying the rotary with my Proxxon router base - an Oberfrasenvorsat OFT, no less! - only to find that the yellow clamp is really designed to hold 20mm collars. Yes, it will open wide enough to tighten around the threaded grey bit, but that's plastic...and would need to be tight....and who knows what damage it could cause to the thread?
Perhaps I should simply splash out on an official Dremel plunge router base, which I believe the tool screws into as opposed to clamping....but then don't know if the grey Maplin thread is the same size as a proper Dremel!

Dremel clone.jpg

only to find that the yellow clamp is really designed to hold 20mm collars. Yes, it will open wide enough to tighten around the threaded grey bit, but that's plastic...and would need to be tight....and who knows what damage it could cause to the thread?

The thread on the Dremel clone is roughly 19mm and the collar is 20mm (1mm bigger) so there should be no need to force it open. I think you would have to try very hard to damage the nose threads. The bigger issue is if the 20mm will squeeze down to 19mm without bottoming out or distorting the clamp.

You could batter both birds with the same rock by wrapping the grooves of the male threads with string to pad them out to the tips and then finish with a couple of wraps of insulation tape. That will make the diameter up to 20mm and spread the load so damage risk is eliminated.

This Dremel base is a thing of beauty and very reasonably priced:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...uters-and-bits/routers/precision-router-base/

You could batter both birds with the same rock by wrapping the grooves of the male threads with string to pad them out to the tips and then finish with a couple of wraps of insulation tape. That will make the diameter up to 20mm and spread the load so damage risk is eliminated.

You're firing on all cylinders tonight, Chai! Excellent ideas.... definitely worth a shot. Thanks!
And yes, I've bought a few things from StewMac over the years - all good quality in the main. I did think about their "Safe-T-Planer" some years ago, until I read a few expert woodworkers comments!

Would a bit of standard 20mm O/D pvc electrical conduit split and pushed over the threads still fit into the Proxxon type base? It would add a measure of protection to the threads while the split would allow it to 'clamp'. A bit of a bodge but it might work.
The obvious solution for someone with the proper tooling would be to machine an alternative replacement for the yellow part of your router base to suit your Maplin machine threads. Not difficult if you have the right kit for the job.

Shame it's not available in UK

StuMac allows you to change prices to UKP and appear to ship airmail to UK for £15.71

How does that qualify as 'not available'?

If someone does import it, they will need to take their cut and pass onto the end-user.

Try brass shim of the appropriate thickness wrapped around the thread, allowing a small gap where the ends meet, to allow clamping. This won't damage the threads.
Alternately, invest in a Proxxon tool! ;)

Back