Drawer substitute for dovetails? Domino.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that's quite right. If you were just getting into woodworking you may not know if you'll like it or stick at it.

Jacob":1zcr9meo said:
Chems":1zcr9meo said:
The problem with domino discussion is some people just get so green and bitter about it cause they don't have them. Its like a hand grenade topic.
Not me squire!
I bought one this week, although it is in transit somewhere, probably stuck in a snow drift

Grim's jumped on a brandwagon!

BugBear

bugbear":li3kvrbu said:
Jacob":li3kvrbu said:
Chems":li3kvrbu said:
The problem with domino discussion is some people just get so green and bitter about it cause they don't have them. Its like a hand grenade topic.
Not me squire!
I bought one this week, although it is in transit somewhere, probably stuck in a snow drift

Grim's jumped on a brandwagon!

BugBear
:lol:
It certainly is a band wagon!
I decided I really needed what the FT domino does i.e. precise mortices with a hand held machine, and the FTdomino is the only machine that does it - not counting fence contractors chain mortice machines,
I don't want the dominoes themselves - I can make my own , and I'm not happy about the hype - "cystainers" and all that nonsense!
Mr Quangsheng if you are listening - opportunity here for a practical machine which could be done at a fraction of the price!
We'll see. I might sell it on later.
It's not arrived yet - stuck in the snow, roads are bad around here

Even with the best tools in the world you still have to know how to use them or forget it, I have seen work done by supposed professionals who have not learnt anything about woodworking with all the NEW Have to Have BEST GEAR and most of the time their workmanship just looks like rubbish because they have not got the skill to use them, where i have seen some with old tools that you think would not cut or drill into a piece of cake and yet get an exelent piece of workmanship out of them.

I have got an old bosch and dewalt circular saw, Jigsaw, Drills and drill drivers, an old B&Q Drill, and some homemade jigs and so on and they still work without any problems and if they were to pack up I would not go and pay hundreds of pounds just to buy 1 power tool when i could buy 3 or 4 with the same money and that includes if i was to win the lottery, =P~

If i had to buy some powertools because some of the 1s i have seem to give up the ghost, after lasting me i don't know how many years then the new 1s i would replace them with would see out my lifetime lol. Each to their own, everyone has their choices and it is not upto me to tell other people what to buy, and vice versa as long as it works ok for you and me then as long as we are happy with what we have chosen than thats all that matters at the end of the day.

Cheers :)

Dave

By eck it sounds like the ghost of christmas past!
No I agree with you Dave, I've been saying the same sort of thing for years. The weakest link in a lot of made stuff is not in skills, equipment, material; very many people having the best of all three.
It's design IMHO.
Lots of beautifully made and finished stuff looks so boring. Conversely crudely made things can be brilliant if the design is OK to start with.

I bought this bit of kit for a particular job where I think it will pay for itself. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

tisdai":3e3xmsfi said:
Even with the best tools in the world you still have to know how to use them or forget it, I have seen work done by supposed professionals who have not learnt anything about woodworking with all the NEW Have to Have BEST GEAR and most of the time their workmanship just looks like rubbish because they have not got the skill to use them, where i have seen some with old tools that you think would not cut or drill into a piece of cake and yet get an exelent piece of workmanship out of them.

I have got an old bosch and dewalt circular saw, Jigsaw, Drills and drill drivers, an old B&Q Drill, and some homemade jigs and so on and they still work without any problems and if they were to pack up I would not go and pay hundreds of pounds just to buy 1 power tool when i could buy 3 or 4 with the same money and that includes if i was to win the lottery, =P~

If i had to buy some powertools because some of the 1s i have seem to give up the ghost, after lasting me i don't know how many years then the new 1s i would replace them with would see out my lifetime lol. Each to their own, everyone has their choices and it is not upto me to tell other people what to buy, and vice versa as long as it works ok for you and me then as long as we are happy with what we have chosen than thats all that matters at the end of the day.

Cheers :)

Dave

I do agree with that. I've made some really nice stuff (I think so :oops: ) with very basic kit such as £80 table saws and awesome PowerBase equipment. Often with the more expensive tools, it can be less the end result, more how easy and efficient (and enjoyable!) it was to get there.

I've made some really nice stuff (I think so )

I have seen some of your projects on here Chems and they look good to me m8, I have posted in a couple as well about the work you do. In my mind if you can do them with a festool like you have and you have no problems doing them without one as well like you have mentioned " with very basic kit such as £80 table saws and that " if you have the skill their it will show in your work, like Jacob mentions about helping him to do things quicker, the more he can do the more money he can earn, and thier are lots of people in the same boat.

If it can help a contractor or someone who relies on it for work but alas i am not one of them any more, due to personal reasons, and No it is not Money :D I can't do what i used to be abled to do, but i do love working with wood, i allways have done, their is just somthing about it, it is like a drug :D or maybe they just want to have them because they believe that they are the best, then go for it. Everyone is different and do things differently to others, nothing wrong in that well not in my book anyways :) .

Cheers

Dave

Obviously a few carpenters on here who wish the were cabinet makers.

The fit isn't perfect as I did rebate off saw, this was trying out my new toy.

I have only 40 years as a cabby so probably need some guidance off the likes of Jacob.

jumps":s8n4s2h9 said:
promhandicam":s8n4s2h9 said:
Chems":s8n4s2h9 said:

I have a domino too and I have used it for joining drawer components. I've also forgotten to change the depth setting and cut right through a component which is this looks like to me. The OP asked ". . . what do you think?", well I think that aesthetically it doesn't look very good and I don't think that it will be a particularly strong joint either.

As an extreme newbie (first post) who's spending time trolling through vast numbers of threads trying to absorb ideas and benefit from the vast wisdom here - I actually find such direct comments to be very helpful. I hadn't really thought to question the strength - but, when pushed to consider it, it becomes rather obvious that it adds little to 'function' for the reasons given in a few responses and rather hammered home in others!

Right now I don't know what a Domino is - but will now spend a bit of time finding out.

This may help.

http://goo.gl/OoqDD

Brian Jackson":18d2oxin said:

I have only 40 years as a cabby so probably need some guidance off the likes of Jacob.

We got off the topic there, I agree its a great way to do drawers quickly and strongly. I've done it on a lot of drawers done recently.

Chems":2rr8xxwt said:
Brian Jackson":2rr8xxwt said:

We got off the topic there, I agree its a great way to do drawers quickly and strongly. I've done it on a lot of drawers done recently.
Quite right Chems.

I damaged a 10mm bit on my Domino, the replace ment here in NZ was $105.

Subsequently found this crowd.......

http://goo.gl/oguH0

Hope this is some help to you lads.

Brian Jackson":1tvmihqu said:

Right that explains it.
More money in driving a cab IMHO but don't give up on the woodwork just yet!

Jacob":1dq4ik1b said:
Brian Jackson":1dq4ik1b said:

Right that explains it.
A comedian too, will we ever learn of all this chaps accomplishments?

Brian Jackson":qvc20vbz said:
Jacob":qvc20vbz said:
Brian Jackson":qvc20vbz said:

Right that explains it.
A comedian too, will we ever learn of all this chaps accomplishments?
:lol:
Do you want to know how to make a drawer or not!

promhandicam":1zei1jlf said:
Brian Jackson":1zei1jlf said:
. . . I damaged a 10mm bit on my Domino, the replace ment here in NZ was $105.

Subsequently found this crowd....... http://goo.gl/oguH0 Hope this is some help to you lads.

Does anyone know if CMT sell these in the UK?

Axminster defiantly did sell them, I saw them when I bought something for my domino recently as a related product.

Try contacting CMT UK directly: 08456 040064

I wouldn't be surprised if Festool had put the breaks on people selling them in Europe somehow.

PS, Don't mind Jacob, he's the forum troll, he keeps getting banned back to a cave but somehow the staff seem to let him back in.

However the new forum software has the ignore feature so aim it at him and click Ignore and live happily ever after!

For me its not the cost. Yes it is very very over priced, even for the domino's themselves, but its modern and in my opinion not as strong joinery. Dovetails look far nicer and are plenty stronger. I don't like the look of seeing the domino's.

As for the posts thats seen as destructive. I liked them, made me smile. But then i run a trades forum thats Non PC, say what you like when you like type of place. Think if this person can't take a bit of banter then do you really need that misery on this forum. The guy asked for peoples opinions, he didn't ask them all to say it looks fantastic. He was after honesty.

Hudson Carpentry":2tnl1ktg said:
For me its not the cost. Yes it is very very over priced, even for the domino's themselves, but its modern and in my opinion not as strong joinery. Dovetails look far nicer and are plenty stronger. I don't like the look of seeing the domino's.

As for the posts thats seen as destructive. I liked them, made me smile. But then i run a trades forum thats Non PC, say what you like when you like type of place. Think if this person can't take a bit of banter then do you really need that misery on this forum. The guy asked for peoples opinions, he didn't ask them all to say it looks fantastic. He was after honesty.
Ah, I assume you don't have a Domino, never mind perhaps one day.

Seems some of us like the Domino in drawer and then there are the others.

From a practical stand point, I think they may have a limited life strength wise, say a 100 years, not really good enough for some!

Hope that is to your taste Huddy.

Brian Jackson":267sgi9g said:
Hudson Carpentry":267sgi9g said:

Ah, I assume you don't have a Domino, never mind perhaps one day.
Not everybody wants one, believe it or not. I bought one but I'm beginning to have second thoughts.
From a practical stand point, I think they may have a limited life strength wise, say a 100 years, not really good enough for some!....
I reckon those thin bits of end grain will break fairly quickly, before you've glued it together even - unless you glue first and then domino afterwards when it's gone hard.

Happy christmas

Latest posts

Back