Drawer substitute for dovetails? Domino.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looks plain ugly to me.

The faces don't meet properly and the dominoes! it's like slicing through a biscuit, looks nasty.

Hi,

Not much thickness left between the dominos and the end of the draw side, looks like a very weak point to me.
Biscuits would be better, which I have used in the same situation with good results.

Pete

If you tried to fold that joint in or out, the tenons would very easily break out the thin bit of cross grained drawer side immediately.
If you have to do it like that round dowels would be better.
Can you do round dowels with a domino?

Would look better, and probably still be strong enough if the dominos were tenoned lengthways into the sides and came through flush onto the drawer front.

Si.

I think it depends how well its made as to how attractive it looks:

WEB_8486.jpg

Ive used the domino on drawers quite a few times, done the back ones like these and the front one with dovetails.

I personally think that a couple of 4" nails holding the drawer together would look better and would probably be stronger too.

I thought this was a family friendly forum where members can post what they are doing and hoping to get some encouragement or helpfull advice in return, NOT to be ridiculed and laughed at like a couple of the replies.

These couple of :oops: :oops: replies will make some of the members think twice before posting their work up on the forum just incase the same thing happens to them.

Cheers

Dave

tisdai":55wppfl3 said:
I thought this was a family friendly forum where members can post what they are doing and hoping to get some encouragement or helpfull advice in return, NOT to be ridiculed and laughed at like a couple of the replies.

These couple of :oops: :oops: replies will make some of the members think twice before posting their work up on the forum just incase the same thing happens to them.

Cheers

Dave
Not really ridiculed - just a little leg pull IMHO. You should see what we have to put up with over there with trolls lining up 16 to the dozen!
Nail comment not entirely facetious though; they are used a lot even in quite good old furniture. Drawer bottoms sometimes just nailed on from below. Quite practical really. And a hammer is a lot cheaper than a festool domino.

The problem with domino discussion is some people just get so green and bitter about it cause they don't have them. Its like a hand grenade topic.

Chems":3ojcijpd said:
The problem with domino discussion is some people just get so green and bitter about it cause they don't have them. Its like a hand grenade topic.
Not me squire!
I bought one this week, although it is in transit somewhere, probably stuck in a snow drift

Jacob":3p01k3pi said:
tisdai":3p01k3pi said:

Cheers

Dave
Not really ridiculed - just a little leg pull IMHO. You should see what we have to put up with over there with trolls lining up 16 to the dozen!
Nail comment not entirely facetious though; they are used a lot even in quite good old furniture. Drawer bottoms sometimes just nailed on from below. Quite practical really. And a hammer is a lot cheaper than a festool domino.

Hi Jacob

I just look at it as it is, the guy who posted his picture might be a newbie to woodworking and to forums and as a result might take it to heart. Myself personally you could call my projects what ever you liked and i would'nt blink an eyelid over it, as i have been doing it long enough and have been aquainted with forums for years so nothing new to me.

Chems":3p01k3pi said:

Hi Chems

I don't own one m8, not because of the cost I just have not been interested in them. I Only use dowels now and again and i can use any drill bit for that lol.

Cheers

Dave

Chems":307q0v9f said:

I have a domino too and I have used it for joining drawer components. I've also forgotten to change the depth setting and cut right through a component which is this looks like to me. The OP asked ". . . what do you think?", well I think that aesthetically it doesn't look very good and I don't think that it will be a particularly strong joint either.

promhandicam":3jbur47y said:
Chems":3jbur47y said:

I have a domino too and I have used it for joining drawer components. I've also forgotten to change the depth setting and cut right through a component which is this looks like to me. The OP asked ". . . what do you think?", well I think that aesthetically it doesn't look very good and I don't think that it will be a particularly strong joint either.

As an extreme newbie (first post) who's spending time trolling through vast numbers of threads trying to absorb ideas and benefit from the vast wisdom here - I actually find such direct comments to be very helpful. I hadn't really thought to question the strength - but, when pushed to consider it, it becomes rather obvious that it adds little to 'function' for the reasons given in a few responses and rather hammered home in others!

Right now I don't know what a Domino is - but will now spend a bit of time finding out.

jumps":30tm7s4m said:
As an extreme newbie (first post) who's spending time trolling through vast numbers of threads trying to absorb ideas and benefit from the vast wisdom here - I actually find such direct comments to be very helpful . . .Right now I don't know what a Domino is - but will now spend a bit of time finding out.

Welcome to the forum - I'm glad that you've found some useful information here. With regards to a domino - it refers to a type of jointing method using loose tenons that fit in slots made by a domino jointer, made exclusively by Festool. The machine used to make the slots is relatively expensive although for a professional cabinet maker the investment can be fairly quickly recouped. Unless you have recently won the lottery, I would advise against spending too much time googling 'festool' as it is a road that can quite easily lead to ruin :mrgreen:

I think if you started off by buying Festool, you would actually save money in the long run.

For instance, you start out with a cheap Circ Saw. Say £40, you then upgrade that to another better one, perhaps spend £180 on a nice makita one.

Total Spent £220,
Later you want a track saw, so of course buy the TS55 as most people seem to. £320 spent (best price at the mo)

Total spent getting you to a TS55 £540.

Perhaps you sell the old makita one, recoup some money, but its not a top end saw so probably loose a bit of cash on it. Sell for £80. So updated total £440.

Buying the TS55 straight off as your first tool:

£320.

It another way of looking at it. I know its been true in my history. People always say buy cheap buy twice. So its just heeding the rule.

Disclaimer: Applies to any top notch brand, Mafell etc Festool just used as a demonstration!

Now that I'm in education I've sold of the majority of my tools bar the Festools and TableSaw, when the times comes to start replacing tools, they will all be green.

thread-hijack.jpg

Chems":2uvq2o6j said:
I think if you started off by buying Festool, you would actually save money in the long run.

That would depend very much on what you intended to do in the long run. If it is just putting up a few shelves and doing a bit of diy, buying a festool track saw, jig saw, drill, sander and router won't leave you much change out of £2000. On the other hand if you buy makita / bosch / metabo - all perfectly adequate tools, I would guess you would be looking at around £500 - therefore my reference to a lottery win in connection with festool :wink:

Latest posts

Back