Drawer runners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise which runners would be best suited for use with my tool cabinet in progress at the moment. There seems to be a lot of choice from Blum and other makers, I would value the opinion of someone who uses a lot of these. I need full extension, as the drawers are not very deep, and want them to be completely solid and smooth in action. Not too fussed about soft and self closing. One problem is, I only have 260mm from the back of the cabinet to where the drawer face would start......most I have been looking at seem to do no smaller than 270mm........ :oops: This looked my only option really: http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... ion/641124

Is there a way of making wooden runners that will be strong enough and work smoothly enough as an alternative?

Any ideas and tips gratefully received......

Thank you! Mark

Trad drawers (with sides of drawer sitting on runners, with kickers and guides) work brilliantly, will outlast the industrial type and cost virtually nothing. You would do well to look at the drawer side to bottom joint as this is can be the weakest link - drawer slips are best, not just bottoms into slots.

The other all wood solution is runners fixed to sides of the carcase engaging a slot in the side of the drawer. This is cheap and easy but doesn't wear well if heavily used. Makes good use of space though, as the drawer bottoms can be screwed direct to the bottom of the drawer.

If you use side runners you don't have to match the length to drawer depth, but every 10mm short means 10mm of the full extension is lost when opening

Bottom runners require fixing at the back so you would have to make the drawer depth match your runners

+1 for self close - doesn't cost much more and is a joy to use

longinthetooth":24rn80js said:
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/cabinet_furniture_and_hardware/runners_and_cabinet_systems/88902/motion_455mm_ball_race_drawer_runner_double_extension_/349121
Are these full extension?

Baldhead

I think you'll find this type of drawer runner holds the drawer shut rather than soft close. Part of the slide gently pushes onto the rubber at the rear of the runner. They also disconnect with the use of a small lever which makes the fitting of these runners a piece of cake.

Dave

Thanks guys, great advice as usual, not decided yet as to best method, I need to cogitate some more on the design......

Longinthetooth...thanks, not sure how I missed those......

Latest posts

Back