Rollers for drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some boxes to sit in my overhead kitchen cupboards - one for flour, one for sugar, etc as the shelves of ingredients are a bit full and to find a particular flour or sugar, for example, I have to pull them all out - so I may as well sit a simple box on the shelf and lift it out when selecting ingredients.

I may be over designing it - but as it is overhead I was thinking of putting a couple of small wheels on the back of each box so that it slides back onto the shelf without much effort.

There seem to be lots of places that can sell me wardrobe runners and the like, or wheels for underbed drawer boxes but I am struggling to find something small enough - they really don't need to handle 20kg loads...

Any suggestions what I should use or where I should go would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe not a perfect/elegant solution but could you not attach some bearings to the sides, they're thin enough not to take up much space.

Sorry Colin - I was not clear. I am making boxes that I can lift out and put on the countertop, so runners are inappropriate. Was just looking for some small wheels to go on the rear corner to make it easier to lift in and out of the cupboard. Jacob's teflon buttons look promising - thanks.

You can get runners that allow the drawer to be removed, something like this OMIdeas 400mm High Quality Roller Drawer Slides/Runners Bottom Fix Metal White, Pack of 2 Sets : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

the runners are in two parts with wheels, only light duty but give them a look.

Roy,

I have boxes of those and they are great - I use them for all sorts of projects, but in this case the box will never be used like a drawer and will always be fully removed every time, so runners (even these) would be extra effort rather than less. Hence my thought of fitting a couple of small wheels at the back to ease sliding it back onto the shelf from whence it came....

Martin these boxes will be like those found in very old chemist , just a box in a hole and you want to reduce the effort to extract. So without runners you just need a small wheel on the rear corners or something that just reduces the contact area like an ice skate.

Last edited:
Martin these boxes will be like those found in very old chemist , just a box in a hole and you want to reduce the effort to extract. So without runners you just need a small wheel on the rear corners or something that just reduces the contact area like a ice skate.
Have you considered nylon battens on the bottom of the box, just a couple of millimetres thick and say 12 wide to reduce drag?

@Spectric - You describe my need perfectly - thanks.
@Phil winks - agree sliders could work, but prob not as well as a couple of small wheels
@Sporky McGuffin - Lego wheels, absolutely perfect solution (esp. as I have suitable supplies nearby) - but yes, current best bet seems to be @Jacob 's teflon buttons if I can mount them so they can rotate.

I know it’s not what you were planning to do, but you could save even more space by having the boxes underneath the shelf in that wasted bit of space on top of everything else, if you want to, make a row of cubbyholes that the boxes slid into?

Nylon 66 rod cut to the size you want drill a hole and pin or screw to side of drawers. Can be found on e-bay.

I know it’s not what you were planning to do, but you could save even more space by having the boxes underneath the shelf in that wasted bit of space on top of everything else, if you want to, make a row of cubbyholes that the boxes slid into?

Space? What space - I am making the boxes as the shelves are packed solid already and easier to lift it all out in one go. :)
20220109_145549.jpg

Type this into your search bar:- ball bearing casters

Colin
They look brilliant - though I would only need teeny ones and all the ones I have found so far are quite large for a 300x200mm box

You must have low friction tape there somewhere. A few strips on the shelf and the boxes will slide in easily. You can put them on the box but if you are like me you'll inevitably bump it and it will whistle off the counter to the floor.
An example of what I mean. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...32182-slippery-low-friction-tape?item=25U0401

Pete
Am sure you are right and a bit of tape is probably the easiest solution - I am probably over thinking this one. But it means I have to put the box in just the right place (or have wide tape).

.....I am probably over thinking this one. But it means I have to put the box in just the right place (or have wide tape).
the teflon pads do the same thing but are stuck to the boxes.

Back