Rollers for drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another idea, excuse crude image . If the box sides are thick enough / wide enough then make a recess and sit a roller into it so just a small portion protrudes past the actual box edge and small pin to hold in place. Takes up no width and only minimal height.

1641767549721.png

I am making some boxes to sit in my overhead kitchen cupboards - one for flour, one for sugar, etc as the shelves of ingredients are a bit full and to find a particular flour or sugar, for example, I have to pull them all out - so I may as well sit a simple box on the shelf and lift it out when selecting ingredients.

I may be over designing it - but as it is overhead I was thinking of putting a couple of small wheels on the back of each box so that it slides back onto the shelf without much effort.

There seem to be lots of places that can sell me wardrobe runners and the like, or wheels for underbed drawer boxes but I am struggling to find something small enough - they really don't need to handle 20kg loads...

Any suggestions what I should use or where I should go would be greatly appreciated.
No matter how heavy/light the load I find it easier to buy the lightest proprietary draw runners - job done quickly and relatively cheaply - o to the next project! Good luck John on the Wirral.

Sorry, don't know what they're called but you get a ball race typy that is a single ball bearing in a metal enclosure. These are recessed into the bottom of boxes or crates and run on the single ball bearing. Clearance is less than half the diameter of the ball. We had them fitted to the bottom of aluminium crates that were pushed around the workshop on painted concrete floors.

Sorry, don't know what they're called but you get a ball race typy that is a single ball bearing in a metal enclosure. These are recessed into the bottom of boxes or crates and run on the single ball bearing. Clearance is less than half the diameter of the ball. We had them fitted to the bottom of aluminium crates that were pushed around the workshop on painted concrete floors.

Yep - that's what I just ordered from AliExpress (China) - may not use them, but will definitely give them a try.

Do you really need wheels sliders, it's a few bags of flour in a box.
I think your over doing it.
I think I'd just buy clear plastic boxes from the range (other low level shops are available), so I can see what's in there.

Do you really need wheels sliders, it's a few bags of flour in a box.
I think your over doing it.
I think I'd just buy clear plastic boxes from the range (other low level shops are available), so I can see what's in there.
@doctor Bob - You are absolutely right, I am overdoing it - but having spent over £50k on the kitchen refurb over the past 2.5 years I am adding final touches and a plastic box from the Range does not come into that category! :)

Back