Draw-boring tenons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entirely my fault. Apologies to everyone. In a senior moment I thought I'd come up with something very clever and didn't think it through. Many apologies to John Lloyd, it wasn't his idea, I just added it at the last minute without giving it enough thought.

Someone said this is an example of British magazines. Then I'm very sorry to let the side down. It's certainly an example of magazines being run on a shoestring (and that certainly is common of British mags) because it happened when I was very very tired, having worked day after day on the mag and we were very close to deadline.

Please don't judge either John's content, or the rest of the mag by this. I was rather pleased with this issue.

Sorry

Nick

Nick - don't take it too much to heart :shock: :lol: .

On the basis that there's nothing like bad news, I for one did at least learn all about drawing tenons. tensioning.

Rob

Nick, simple free solution, send a batch of magazines to keen readers here before you print them. They will catch the errors. They get a free magazine and you get a free audit squad!

timesale":m56ekesh said:
I just discovered your forum, and saw the topic on draw boring. I just tried draw boring for the first time, and found myself drilling the hole slightly off. So I came up with an offset punch, it made it a little easier. I took a 1/4 inch piece of steel, and drilled a 1/16 inch hole off center. Then tapped it into the hole to mark the tenon.

This is how timber framers do it. I have a photo of an offset punch for producing huge timber frames and will try to find it.

Nick

dickm":1ox3wthv said:
That's a neat idea. Even better might be to plug the offset hole in the end of the punch with a piece of pointed steel rod, to make a centre point for the drill

Dick, that's exactly what I did. I drilled a 1/16 inch hole, slightly off center in a 1/4 inch rod and filled it with a short 1/16 inch pin. I left it slightly proud, and it left a nice dimple in the tenon. My apologies, I should have explained a little clearer.

woodbloke":30ftp8xy said:
...but picked up the machinery review of the Charnwood W650 table saw.

So, Rob, does this mean you're finally placing your order for one??? :twisted: :wink:

Back