Draper lathe worth picking up 2nd hand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisM

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just discovered that this Draper lathe is going to be sold at a local auction. It's all done online / on the day so I've got no idea what it's going to go for, but I'm hoping I could pick up a bargain.
What are these machines like? I'm always wary of Draper but an £800 lathe can't be *that* bad...
Any thoughts on it, max price I should pay, other options etc would be greatly appreciated!

Draper stuff isn't all that bad compared to Silverline etc. and should be reasonable for to be sold at that price. It's got quite good spec. although for a fair capacity it has a small thread and Morse taper - nevertheless it makes chucks easily found. If you can get for a decent price I'd go for it - you can always sell it on without losing too much.

Looks to be the same as my Clarke one, very capable starter machine but certainly was not an £800 retail price! I think mine retailed at £350-400 and I got it in as new condition for £150 with loads of chisels.

That lathe is a standard design, i must have seen it with 20 different brand names on it. I have one branded delta. Ive had it about 18 years and pretty sure i paid about 400 for it new back then.

If you can get it at a decent price then go for it

150-250 would be a good price (unless loads of chisels etc. come with it) and worth noting the speed range is 500 to 2000, making it a definite 'jack of all trades but master of none' lathe when either bowl or pen turning, imo. Of course electronic variable speed control can be retrofitted to a lathe but it would probably cost more than the value of it in this case.

NickN":71l1nk60 said:
150-250 would be a good price (unless loads of chisels etc. come with it) and worth noting the speed range is 500 to 2000, making it a definite 'jack of all trades but master of none' lathe when either bowl or pen turning, imo. Of course electronic variable speed control can be retrofitted to a lathe but it would probably cost more than the value of it in this case.

the speed range on this is variable it has 10 speeds

Back