Down - but not out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to 'craft fair' yesterday after 3 months of preparation. What a disappointment!
The Centre is approximately a mile off the main road, and in spite of assurances from the organiser, no advertising had been done, not even a sign at the entrance on the day.
there were about 9 stalls there and there were more stall holders than 'punters' through the door. The fair had originally been planned for today (sunday) but the organiser explained that they had changed the date as it was mothers day, and the centre café was so busy with bookings that they didn't think they could handle a craft fair as well (you can guess how well that went down as an explanation when the organiser unwisely came round to ask for feed back)
At a previous fair in November, there were notices at the end of the road, tables were supplied, and tea or coffee for the stall holders, there was a steady stream of centre visitors through the day and everyone was happy. In spite of not really being organised and only having a few things even I sold a few things. This time, tables were not supplied, one cup of tea per stall holder and hardly any visitors, still same charge of £10 for the day. the only person who really did any business was a 'pop up shop' who apparently visits the centre regularly, and even she was hugely disappointed with the turn out. I saw at least one stall leave without paying, and one refused to pay more than £5

So anyway, I am still no wiser about what might sell, and whether my prices are right, as I only sold one little trinket box (which had been to lots of other craft fairs with my friend)
Ah well, onwards and upwards, you live and learn etc etc :wink:

I feel for you. But I feel for the organisers as well. I used to organise an antiques fair and the first one was like that. It made me cringe when talking to the stallholders. Learnt a lot though and they got quite popular after that.

Such a shame, Gill. I hope you are more resilient than I would be because it would be enough to put me off for good. (Assuming anyone could get me to a craft fair in the first place. :) )

Gill Don't feel down hearted. It really is hit and miss. I don't do craft fairs anymore, but when I did I paid anything between £10 and £90 for a table. The 90 pounds fair was a total disaster, didn't make a penny and was moved by Health and Safety into an indoor tent that was playing extremely loud music. Whereas I went to a Christmas fair, paid £20 for a table and made £110. So it really is pot luck. As you say advertising is the key to a lot of these events. however even advertising doesn't help sometimes.
People will like your work but will bargain with you to cut your prices thinking it is some type of car boot sale :evil: So stick to your guns and don't let people haggle with you. The products are all handcrafted. Not of a shipping container from Taiwan.

There are a few craft forums in Scotland. Maybe worth looking them up.
If you need anymore info don't hesitate to contact me

Good luck.

Hi Gill, it sounds heart breaking to me. Have you consider setting up a shop on a website like Folksy.com to sell your stuff; the listing costs and commission rates are reasonable. I sell some of my pyrography stuff on there. http://folksy.com/shops/BurningDesire I am hoping to put some scrollsaw work on there soon if I can get around to doing some. I've just moved house and there are thousand things waiting to be done.

The tenner you spent today will go a lot further on Folksy.

George

Hi Gill I am sorry to hear that your 1st Craft Show was a disaster :( ,I am glad for you to say you will try again.I hope that you will have a better time,on your next outing :roll:

Take care

Bryan

Gill please don't give up -- I also had a fair yesterday which was very similar to yours--- in the wilds of Somerset -- no advertising -- no drinks for stall holders -- had to almost give the stuff away all for total sales of £40.

But met a load of nice craft persons and at least made some good contacts for charity work, including a couple of
"talks " to a local Cancer support group on Scrolling and Pyrography

So chin up and attack again !!!! You will have good ones

John

Sorry to hear that gill, it does however remind me of one fair I did at night where not one person came through the door at all, I can't complain though as I did really well from the stall holders but it was a rubbish night for the others, chin up and hope you get fixed up with a good fair soon..

Sorry to hear of your dismal day Gill. It does happen though and we are powerless on the day. In hindsight you may like to do what I do if I am invited to a new craft fair. I go and make a visit before the day and can usually judge the potential and if it is worth my while going. I have just been asked to attend a 3 day event so I went and had a look and as very impressed. Plenty of parking, easy access, the venue is well known and attracts lots of visitors and coaches with tourist so I said I will go.

Its so disappointing when you have a bad day Gill. I just hope your next one is a huge success.

thanks for messages everyone, will probably try again at some point, cos I've got all this stuff that needs a home, there is always the sunday market at thainstone mart, but is mainly a car boot sale with some stalls set up inside, had lots of warnings about it and a lot of the stuff is cheap imports, but no scroll saw stalls any time I have been, so maybe...

have you thought of a display cabinet somewhere? That way, you only need to replenish the stock as it is sold, and if it is slow to sell, you dont have days of sitting there on a stall. Not sure on venues, but there are plenty of different options- from cafe's to offices and everything in between.

I would avoid Sunday markets. If it is cheap imports and tat, then people turn up expecting that, and it will drag down anything of any quality there.

don't give up Gill!!!!!!!! I am new to the craft fairs as well and have had one good, one disaster and one ok ish. Try facebook, I hate using it but I have sold more on it in the last week than at the last 2 fairs.
Keep the chin up!!
Regards
Brendan

What a shame Gill. Sounds as though the organizers could do with organizing. Which bright spark suddenly realised it clashed with Mother's Day?

I'm glad you've taken it on the chin and good luck with the next one ;-)

Barry

Thanks again all, the main problem is that I usually work on a Saturday, and that is when most craft fairs are. I really can't afford to take Saturdays off as I am self employed - no work no pay - stingy boss :(

Back