Makerspace overhaul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
Been a busy weekend and I'm nowhere near done, yesterday we emptied out the right hand side of the garage so I could move the racking towards the front and turn the last one so I can have more space at the back, it all took longer than expected and by the end of the day my head and back were killing me so once the racking was repositioned and stocked we pretty much threw the rest in, still a lot to sort through but was good to clear off 18months of dust, at some point we will clear the opposite side so I can re organise the shelves and clean the bikes off. It's taken most of the day today to get 3x sheets of 20mm OSB in and against the back of the racking and up against the wall and cut in around the gas supply and vents 🤪🤪🤪 I'll post some progress pics later but here's a quick vid from a couple hours ago

Got to a stage where I am now undecided how to proceed, either floor to ceiling shelves or continue a worktop across to the gas and have a few shelves above, I also have 1 More kitchen wall cupboard which I'm thinking about putting up in the corner. I have 5 2m metal multi shelf strips which I'll have to cut down to fit above the worktop if I go that route.
20230521_183421.jpg
20230521_183413.jpg
20230521_183411.jpg

Great job!
I'm amazed at the great stuff you produce from such a small space!!
If I get this overhaul right I'll have more space to store my timbers/blanks/logs as well as having a good bit of benchtop space to work at, luckily my wood bin and my bandsaw are already on wheeled bases so don't have to worry about that, once the "new" area is done I can look at the original side, will probably do away with the 3 sets of drawers (If I can find somewhere for everything in them), the lathe and dust extractor will be in the corner so they are by the plug sockets and my gouges etc can be mounted to the wall. The picture in my head keeps evolving like most things I do, I start with an idea but no plan and it just evolves as I go 🤷‍♂️ I'm leaning more towards a deeper worktop along the wall rather than shelving as it will allow me space to work on more than one thing at a time, downside will be if anyone needs to get to the low level gas pipes they will have a bit of a squeeze but that would be their problem not mine 🤔🤔🤔

Few hours spent continuing the revamp of the makerspace, got the worktop installed, still to put a leg halfway along but can do that once I have a bit more space, decided against putting the 3rd kitchen cupboard up as the shelving offers me more storage space, it's been a bit of a headscratcher at times due to using whatever cuts and bits of timber I have lying around but it's looking pretty good so far I think.

20230522_163656.jpg
20230522_163650.jpg
20230522_163648.jpg
20230522_163646.jpg
20230522_163645.jpg
20230522_163638.jpg
20230522_163636.jpg

More progress today 😊😊😊 really taking shape, the lathe in the middle makes getting in a little tight but it keeps the shavings predominantly behind me against the wall rather than all over the worktop

Back