Dowel on the end of 30mm square material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Templatetom

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone added a dowel to the end of a 30mm Sq material?

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 227
Yeah I had to do that on some stair spindles. I used a holesaw to cut the dowel part or round tenon then cut the shoulders and removed the waste on my tablesaw.

I've seen a better way since I think I posted a video of someone a few years ago using a jig on a router table.

I would be tempted to buy some 30mm dowel and make a loose tennon...

Lathe?

If I had to do it by hand I think I'd saw out a square "tenon", the sides being the same as the required diameter. Then I'd pare the corners off to make it round. Probably a bit time consuming if you had to make a few of them.

Thanks Chippy
This I had seen before and that was why I asked "Has anyone added the dowel to the end of the material"? maybe come up with an alternative method of construction.
Also the method shown on the clip could not be used here in this instance as the dowel is not perpendicular to the shoulder of the joint so I suppose I should have added that information to my first question.
Tom

Templatetom":bcdqr4r1 said:
Thanks Chippy
This I had seen before and that was why I asked "Has anyone added the dowel to the end of the material"? maybe come up with an alternative method of construction.
Also the method shown on the clip could not be used here in this instance as the dowel is not perpendicular to the shoulder of the joint so I suppose I should have added that information to my first question.
Tom

Do I understand you correctly, the dowel is offset from the centre of the square wood?

If that is the case could you use this method but keeping the wood oversized so the dowel is centred then rip the square on two sides to offset the dowel. A bit wasteful but may work.

Mick

Mick,

I think (?) the OP means an angled dowel - like a chair leg might be (not offset) ?

If there were many to do I would probably build a jig for hand-held router

FWIW

Dave

I'd use a wad punch, or make one up with a bit of pipe, if I could find the right diameter. After removing as much waste as poss - then a combination of tapping it on and paring with a chisel, down to the shoulder - cut first just square four cuts to be trimmed when you get there..

I can't imagine needing to make that, but if I did it would be the perfect excuse to buy a hollow auger:

p_476_1_1.gif

This 'problem' was solved a century or more ago!

Mick the dowel is positioned in the centre of the material
MickCheese":e2ee3v78 said:
Templatetom":e2ee3v78 said:
Thanks Chippy
Tom

Do I understand you correctly, the dowel is offset from the centre of the square wood?

If that is the case could you use this method but keeping the wood oversized so the dowel is centred then rip the square on two sides to offset the dowel. A bit wasteful but may work.

Mick

Yes, realised that after I had posted and someone put me right. Not too much help but I like the idea of a router jig just cannot see how you can keep the shoulder at a different angle to the dowel.

Mick

Templatetom":1hqsng5x said:
phil.p":1hqsng5x said:
Has anyone formed/cut a dowel, has anyone added a dowel - slightly different questions.
Sorry, pedantry matters sometimes.
You are correct Phil it should have been form a dowel on the end of the material
Tom

Since a dowel is a cylindrical piece of wood, wouldn't it actually be form a cylindrical tenon? :lol:

MickCheese":1hqsng5x said:
Yes, realised that after I had posted and someone put me right. Not too much help but I like the idea of a router jig just cannot see how you can keep the shoulder at a different angle to the dowel.

Mick

Rather than using a router at an angle would it be possible to create a jig with a flat bottom (or top) surface and where the piece of wood is fed through at an angle?

Would a hole saw be of any use for this?

Clamp wood at required angle and mount a hole saw in a drill press somehow?

Back