Dovetails with a difference.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
DSC01528%20(Medium).JPG

Now how were they put together?

DSC01528a.JPG

I think they have here too, and the shakes in the middle of the pins are misleading.

Karl Holtey's dad: great big hammer and lots of 'peining'... :wink:

Hmm – all pins and no tails, or is it the other way round?

Whatever, the building is built by laying planks on top of each other to form the walls.
Each of the two ends of each plank is cut to form one pin (like a tenon, but dovetailed) and two shoulders. The building is started with two half planks – halved longitudinally, so they have one shoulder and half a pin. These are positioned along opposite walls.
The other two walls are started by laying two full planks with their pins sitting in the shoulders of the first two planks. Two adjacent shoulders form the “mortice” into which the dovetail pin fits. The walls are built to their full height by laying further full planks on top of the ones laid earlier.

I hope you can follow my explanation.

Interesting thing I noted was that no two pins are the same, size/compound angle, so next balk must have been cut to suit previous.

Seems to be doing it the hard way at first until you realize that it is the only way for 'best fit' at this scale, wonder how they transferred the pin compound angle/shoulder depth to next mating piece, can't exactly hold it in place and scribe it.

Jake":3glwu7r8 said:
Are they just stacked up?

Yes, it is a stacked dovetail construct. The joints are not the dovetail joints we know since the walls are made of logs rather than one huge board. It is all pins, but... the bottom of the pin is like the dovetail pin we know, and the top of the pin corresponds to the tail we know. As each two parallel logs are stacked, they lock in the two perpendicular logs immediately below.

This was a German technique for log cabins, common also in areas of German settlement in the US.

Rick

Latest posts

Back