Dovetail splines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiroma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have made the jig for making plain splines for strengthening and decoration of mitre joints on box corners. I have also seen that this can be done with dovetail splines as well. I imagine that I could use the same jig but on my router table but with a dovetail bit in it. What I cant figure out is how to make the splines.

I'd appreciate any help

Jiroma

Hi Jiroma, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by splines. But to cover what I think you mean. If you need a parallel sided slip of timber to fit into a cut across the corner, then cut a piece of timber to fit. Traditionally this cut would be made by a saw and the filling would be a piece of veneer, of course 'traditionally' veneer would have been significantly thicker than it is nowadays.
In the case of your 'slot' routed with a Dovetail cutter. Then use the old method for making mouldings. Form a dovetail along the edge of a suitable board, then slice off the moulding, thus making a dovetail shaped filler.

HTH
xy

Thank you, when I went to bed last night the thought juices started to flow and I figured out how to do it. You are spot on with the idea of making a moulding type piece on the edge of a larger piece and then cut off what is needed. With a dovetail bit in the router table you can cut one side of the dove tail and then progressively make the other side smaller and smaller until you reac the size you need.

Jiroma

Back