Dovetail saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to have a go at making dovetail joints, but the task has always seemed a bit daunting, never had the confidence to tackle it. But I have decided that it is now or never, I want to have a go.

My problem is what is the best dovetail saw to buy there are many on the market which range from about £6 to £60 and more probably, there is also other things to consider such as marking out choosing the right angle E.C.T. would be very grateful if anyone can give me some advice.

Harry

Harry

Regarding the saw I would recommend the Veritas Dovetail saw, it's not expensive and a nice saw to own, you can get one from Axminster tools.
Other things you'll need are a set of dividers, marking knife, marking gauge, fret saw and some nice sharp chisels, oh and a dovetail marker. These normally come with a 1:7 and 1:6, the 1:7 for hardwood and the other for softwood.
I would really recommend that you buy the Rob Cosman DVD on Dovetail Making, it will really open you eyes and in no time at all you'll be cutting one perfect joints.

Myself I do all my dovetails by hand, yes it does add time, but for me it's the satisfaction of looking at the end results.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Waka for valued advice.

I do have steve Maskery's DVD Making dovetails on the Band saw but it seems like a complicated set up needing the use
of various jigs and the tools to make the jigs, i am no authority on the matter but I believe there is no substitute
for the hand made joint, although there seems to be nothing wrong with a machine made one , and as you say the satisfaction of making something that does not involve using a machine. Being retired I have plenty of time and patience
so I will give it a go.

Once again many thanks.

Harry.

I think some of the mystique around the hand cut dovetail is because people forget that there are different levels of accuracy for different purposes and woods. You don't need the sort of precision that would suit a mahogany jewellery box if you are trying to make a pine cupboard!
Also, the important thing is to practice. Old time hand woodworkers making chests of drawers and wardrobes would cut thousands and thousands of joints, so the action would be as familiar as writing one's name. Hobby woodworkers might only cut a few dozen in a lifetime!

The chap that taught me swore by the jap-style dovetail saws, and after using an expensive western-style one alongside my little jap one (http://www.axminster.co.uk/ice-bear-jap ... prod22299/), I have to say, I wouldn't touch the expensive western one with a particularly lengthy off-cut. It's just my opinion, but the difference in ease of use and accuracy is massive, and I can't imagine that my learning curve would have been as steep without it.
Whatever you feel, see if you can try a few options out prior to buying one, as different strokes suit different folks, and what works for me might annoy the whatsits out of you.
Anyway, hope that helps.
Jake

Latest posts

Back