dovetail saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, i`ve made the decision to put my dovetail jig to one side, i`ve started trying to cut all the tails + pins by hand, only problem being is i have no dovetail saw. which one do i go for?? i've been looking at some on the internet, tyzack and speak & jackson mainly (as are in my price bracket around £30, 2nd hand). they both have brass strecher bars across the top witch i belive is best?? would anyone prefer one to the other or is there another alternative? + does size make a difference 8" / 10" ect, and could i use a tenon saw instead or would i need a saw for each application.
many thanks mark.

I can recommend the veritas saws - a bit more expensive at £50 now I see (I am sure I paid around £40 less than 12 mths ago!), but very nice saws and they also do one with finer teeth for narrower stock.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-veritas-fine-tooth-dovetail-saw-prod806715/

http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-veritas-dovetail-saw-prod794089/

211804_l.jpg

SVB":3njwkbqw said:
I can recommend the veritas saws - a bit more expensive at £50 now I see (I am sure I paid around £40 less than 12 mths ago!), but very nice saws and they also do one with finer teeth for narrower stock.

I second the advise on the Veritas. The cheapest might be feine werkzeuge Dieter Schmid at 52,50€ inkl. UPS to UK = 43,50 GBP on your doorstep.

Cheers Pedder[/quote][/quote]

Fourthed.

But in case that doesn't appeal for any reason, to answer the questions: The brass back is generally a tad heavier and a supposed indication of quality. In reality a steel back is absolutely fine. Size wise, 10-11" is a useful size for everything from thin drawer sides to carcass stuff. 8" is a bit on the short side on thicker stock for the latter, but it's doable. A small tenon saw will do the job, but if you're looking to buy a saw for the express purpose of dovetailing, it makes sense to get the tool made specifically for the job. Mind you, someone will be along in a moment to say you can cut them with a hacksaw, I expect. And you can too, if you fancy steepening the learning curve. Talking of which, unless you want to learn saw sharpening too, if you go s/h bear in mind you'll almost certainly have to send it off to a saw doctor as well, so factor that into your budget.

P.S. Pedder's link but to the English version of the site here - in case your German's as non-existant as mine.

thanks for the replys everyone, thinking that i might try and strech my budget a bit and go for the veritas. was using a genral purpose handsaw for the job this afternoon, will be carrying the scars on my fingers for a few days.
mark.

Here's another relatively low cost option:

GYORATDOZRIP.jpg

We tried one of these against a Veritas at Peter Sefton's workshop last week. The Veritas was more troublesome to start than the Gyokucho but a little faster once it got going. Thinner kerf with the Japanese saw (we could just fit a piercing saw blade down it) and both cut nice and straight. The Gyokucho blades last for ages, the last 1/2mm of the tooth is up to RC70 something but the rest is left tough. When the time eventually comes you just pop another blade in - a little bit dearer than sending a saw off for sharpening but you know what you are getting and it should be a much rarer ocurrance.

Filing and setting western saws is quite an addictive hobby in itself once you get into it, I had a little go with a Bad Axe tenon saw a couple of weeks ago and man was it smooth. I'm going to have to try out Mark Harrell's technique next time I sharpen to see if I can replicate it.

anthonyevans":1iaracbd said:
Selly, have you purchased that saw? Any good so far if you have?

No but they have given good reviews but christopher swarchz in the states

Along with the advice previously given, I would also caution that practically any hand saw made in England in the latter half of the twentieth century will almost certainly, originally have had it’s teeth filed as a ‘cross cut’ saw. A dovetail saw works best with a fine toothed rip profile. I originally bought a L-N dovetail saw because it was the first saw to offer this tooth form. Since then, there have been loads. A couple of years ago, at the original hand tool event at Farnham college, Mike and his team set up a bench with all their stocked dovetail saws, along with some wood to practice on and a clipboard for comments. Rob Cosman’s saw was just out and was for me easily the best – but very expensive. The Veritas saw was a quarter of the price but was a very close second. As a result I bought a Veritas dovetail saw then and there and have to report it’s the dovetail saw I reach for. The L-N is much prettier (brass back and curly maple handle) but the Veritas works best for me.
I’m not in any way discounting the Japanese pull saws; I’m just old fashioned enough to prefer a push saw with a pistol grip. For decades they didn’t exist but now we are spoilt for choice.
Jon.

Latest posts

Back