Douglas Fir Protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Help please I have just erected a fence with Douglas fir 2 x 1 timber what would you recommend I use to protect it and keep its colour thanks mock

Outside - paint.
Thats probably the only thing that can survive the UV of the big glowing ball up in the sky.

But personally I'm not a paint fan for things like fences, unless you wear a light blue Bingham dress, have pigtails and like pickets.

Grey it out. Looks the business. Douglas fir is one of those resinous timbers traditionally used in fencing. Never painted. Maybe below the ground, but thats the sum of all you need do to it.

Has anyone used this Ronseal ultimate protection decking oil natural pine and would you recommend it for Douglas fir to keep its colour and protect it ? I've. been offered 3 tins 2.5 lt for £45 tins are a bit rusty does this have a use-by date ?

Most timber used for outdoor fencing will have been treated using something like copper sulphate. One of the reasons why peoples fences rot is because they use lightweight fencing like featherboard and not more substantial offerings. A good outdoor paint is Valspars garden paint, Valspars other offerings are not so good for indoors though.

I'd be looking into shou sugi ban, in other words burning it then brush back and coat with pure tung oil, it will see you out.

Has tyreman said
20230426_163038.jpg
20230426_193011.jpg
20230427_171243.jpg
Burnt brushed back and oiled as you can see in third pic makes it very water repellant

Has tyreman saiView attachment 158426Burnt brushed back and oiled as you can see in third pic makes it very water repellant
It does depend how far you go with it.... just torching the surface a bit will help bring the sap to the surface and protect the wood for a bit longer, but to do it pproperlyyou have to charr the wood. Interestingly, if you just torch the surface a bit, it will fade in the sunlight..... and end up going silver ( that happened to me with douglas fir )

Spray with 2 pack clear Acrylic car or aircraft varnish ( long protection against UV ..from 5 to 10 years..) what your metallic paint cars are covered in, or aircraft, especially high altitude jets. Very expensive. Even then the wood will darken, or fade , depending on the wood , just much more slowly if exposed to sunlight UV.

A thought..if you are sharing the fence with a neighbour ? Whatever they or you use will leach / leak through to the other person's side.When I was a kid, ( one of the times when we lived in the UK ) my dad thought it would be a good idea to creosote the larch lap ( ish ) fence between us and a neighbour, he used a brush. An entire afternoon later he was finshed, very pleased with his handywork, even ( ish ) coat of dark brown stain.They came round and invited him to look at their side. :confused: Nightmare of drips and runs of creosote.

Plus the plants ( mainly flowers ) at the base of the fence ( both sides ) were not happy at all . Nor were the ladies of either house. Both households put runner beans up against the fence to try to hide the mess, because as he painted their side, our side got runs, and so on.

Last edited:
It does depend how far you go with it.... just torching the surface a bit will help bring the sap to the surface and protect the wood for a bit longer, but to do it pproperlyyou have to charr the wood. Interestingly, if you just torch the surface a bit, it will fade in the sunlight..... and end up going silver ( that happened to me with douglas fir )
That was after it was brushed back I burn till it looks like crocodile skin

Back