Double Garage without a ceiling - options?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at houses at the moment, and one of the options has a double garage with apex roof, but without a ceiling, the timbers are all exposed. It's detached.

There isn't really viable storage space up there due to the way it has been constructed, so I see my options as:

1) Kingspan or similar board fixed to the underside of the joists, giving me a quick and easy ceiling solution for fixing lights etc, and providing insulation.
2) Kingspan or similar board fixed to the top side of the joists, leaving the timbers exposed and therefore making any ceiling mounted storage really easy to attach precisely.
3) 9mm plywood to the underside, rockwool above.

I quite like (2), but would love advice from here too!

Thanks.

No. 3

The plywood will allow for things to be positioned anywhere in the ceiling, and a couple coats of white paint will help brighten the garage.
Fibreglass insulation is cheap to buy and easy to lay - screw a sheet of ply up, roll out insulation above before moving onto the next sheet.

Plasterboard instead of ply is another option, though it's awkward to handle alone and will limit where things can be fixed to .

For a garage attached to a house, I think it has to have a fire-retardant ceiling under building regs. Mine certainly had to be built that way. I don't think there is the same restriction for an isolated garage, but it might be a consideration.

MusicMan":33pih536 said:
For a garage attached to a house, I think it has to have a fire-retardant ceiling under building regs. Mine certainly had to be built that way. I don't think there is the same restriction for an isolated garage, but it might be a consideration.

It's more complex than that. There are plenty of circumstances where that ceiling wouldn't need a fire rating despite being attached to the house.

-

To the OP: Why are you planning on insulating the ceiling of a garage?

Because it's going to become a workshop. I intend to insulate the floor with a t&g floating floor on top, batten out the walls for kingspan and then a plywood inner face, which just leaves the ceiling.

Also paint the OSB white before fitting. So much easier than rolling/spraying in situ.

Buy a second hand sheet lifter and sell on afterwards - even cheaper than hiring one.

Bob

+1 for OSB - preferably OSB3 not 2 - even at 9mm thick a full sheet is bloomin heavy so +1 for lifting aids - cheers, W2S

Exactly what I’ve done,

50mm celotex in between the joists. Sheet of white painted osb over the top.

Paint it first as already mentioned.

6x 4ft led lamps, more than sufficient.

I put a hatch in as well just for some lighter items to be stored up there

Mine is exactly like that except it's also about 1 metre higher than the norm as well so I gave up long ago trying to heat the space above my head in a draughty garage and elected for heaters close to where I'm working at the time.
Mine is a fairly modern house so standard trusses probably like yours so I floored out sections of it leaving to full length access areas, ( have to use an extension ladder :) ) and store lightweight stuff up there. Below the ceiling but above wall cupboards is fitted out with dexion slotted angle shelving system screwed to the walls which gives storage for heavier stuff.
Have been storing stuff on the rafters for 30 years without problems though am careful not to overload it too much.

Bob

Same here Bob. I use blower heaters in the winter and in the main working area I have the very thick golf matting that was used in driving ranges. They usually have some old ones stored and are god to work on. I store some timber on the rafters, but not too much as the maing timber storage is on racks at the side of the garage.

The best thing that I keep on permanaently is one of these http://www.diy.com/departments/blyss-10 ... 239_BQ.prd it keeps everything nice and dry and is emptied every day. Surprising how much it collects but a real bargain. It was about £60 when I bought mine.
Malcolm

It gets pretty cold here "opp north" Malcolm but you get used to it and now that I'm retired if it's too cold there's always manyana :D

I have thought about a dehumidifier several times but never got around to it, must look again

Bob

Thanks all. Sounds like rockwool for the ceilings and I need to do my research on what insulation boards for the floor!

To the guys running dehumidifiers - do you not risk drying the wood too much and then having it move significantly when in a non-controlled room as a final product?

Back