Double doors with a difference

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher453

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my friends said 'You can't do anything ordinary, can you..!'

doors1.jpg

Maybe he was right. Curves are addictive, sometimes it's more difficult, but mostly it just makes things a bit more unusual.

doors2.jpg

Anyway... how it was made. It's mostly standard door construction, using square, rebated stock so there are no complicated scribes.

Doors3.jpg

The only complicated bit was the beading. Each piece was curved using a template trim. then had a moulding added with a rounding over (ovlo or ogee, I can never remember) and then cut into a thin strip with a fine bandsaw.

doors4.jpg

It was fun to do and looked good, but if I had to do another,I don't think I'd do it the same way.

Great project, those doors are stunning.

Quick question though out of interest are the panes of glass one large rectangle (for each door of course) or did you get individual shapes of glass cut?

If it was the latter, how did you approach that - did you wait till all the wood was dry-assembled and then work out exact patterns or were you brave enough to order the glass before the wood was actually in place?

I'd love to do something similar on perhaps a smaller scale (like glass fronts on a cabinet or something maybe).

Good work!!

Alan

Hi Alan

Each piece is separate. I don't like pre-ordering glass for any job... I cut a cardboard template for each shape. It wasn't dry assembled, that would be too risky. It was glued up and polished before anything was measured.

Paul

The only word I can think to describe them is wow. They are amazing. Don't suppose you took WIP picutres as well did you as I'd love to see them come together.

Latest posts

Back