Double bevel inlay box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished the box I have been fiddling away with for a while, even got the hinges in OK :) is in ash with lemonwood and mahogany inlay :) . Not too thrilled with the piece I used for the background, but happy overall. Just have to line it and make the dividers and trays
2014-11-10 17.57.00_thumb.JPG
2014-11-10 17.56.30_thumb.JPG

Attachments

• 2014-11-10 17.57.00_thumb.JPG
    2014-11-10 17.57.00_thumb.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 2014-11-10 17.56.30_thumb.JPG
    2014-11-10 17.56.30_thumb.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,037
Very nice, I like the way the horses fade await it gives it another dimension. I know you said the inlay iss mahogany, is it a veneer because I can't see any inlay on the underside of the lid.
Thanks for showing
Sam

Ha Ha, no, cheated there, 4mm ash with 3 and 4 mm inlay wood, just what I had, bit untidy on back as I can usually hide the entry hole on the front, but not always on the back, so backed with another piece of ash - saves a lot of sanding :wink:
I have tried using veneers, but find it much too difficult, about 3-4mm is my favourite, gives room for sanding :lol:

That surely is a thing of beauty, you must be very proud Gill. =D>
Like Sam, I love the "fade" effect you have achieved with the horses.

Gill,

That is absolutely beautiful. It's a true example of the kind of box I've been looking to make, showing the natural beauty of the wood. It's an absolute stunning creation. Well done you!

May I ask... Where do you get your Ash & Lemon Wood?

Many thanks and congratulations on an awesome box!

Kierri xx

That's a beauty! like the others I love how the horse fades...... beautiful grain too

That's lovely. The box I made looks like an old matchbox compared to that.

I saw someone selling boxes from a craft stall on York market the other day, and the smallest plain box was (I can't remember exact sizes and prices) about 3.5"x2.5"x 2" and was £5 or £6. Personalised while you wait cost another 2 or 3 quid. How can they make and sell them for that price?

Really lovely work Gill , like the others I really like the fade effect on the horses .

Thank you for posting .

Latest posts

Back