Dormant Dewalt XRP 18v Ni-Mh Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been offered a Dewalt XRP 18v drill with two 2.6Ah Ni-Mh batteries for £100. The drill had occasional light use when it was bought around three years ago and and has not been used since, so looks like new.

Obviously batteries discharge over time, however I was wondering if anyone knows if Ni-Mh batteries deteriorate when left dormant or is it just a case of re-charging them slowly as when first charged from new? I don't want to buy the drill and then have to buy two new batteries!

I appreciate any feedback and thanks in advance.

Graham

Hi Graham welcome to the forum.

Ni-MH do suffer from the memory effect and leaving these sort of batteries that long without charging is certainly not the best way to treat them, but that's not to say that there is anything wrong with these ones.
The only way to tell for sure is to test them. Would the person that you are buying the drill off let you try it out for an hour or so after they have been charged?

The batteries for these drills are not cheap so IMHO it is not worth a £100 if you have to buy any. If you cannot try it out then I would steer clear.

Cheers

Mike

Think I'd stump up the extra £50 and get the Li-ion version that SF are doing at half price here

Jason

tom owens":26a1gusu said:
or if you can put another £70 towards theres this. I use one and cant fault it..

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bhp452 ... ery-p11951

The batteries could be fine but im always a bit dubious about buying 2nd hand batteries.

Can't agree more, excellent drill.
Can be had for £150, all in, delivered here: Here

Again with only one battery, so you'd have to stump up for another IMHO.

_Dan. :)

Back