Doorway issue - any alternative?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I've bricked up an external doorway and lined the inside with insulated plasterboard. This protrudes 50mm from original external door and now I've created a problem for myself: when I replace the internal door, this 50mm blocks where a door handle will be.

My options that are obvious to me are:

1) flip door opening side (would prefer not to for access reasons)
2) get a narrower door that fits the reduced opening dimensions
3) live with a handle that is partly blocked by the protruding wall

Is there something else I could do?
20221016_114409.jpg

Maybe fit a lock or latch with a deeper backset to move the handle inwards slightly to give more room ?

Ollie

I'd fix a new jamb and a narrower door, which would resolve it nicely. If it was mine, I think anything less would bug me for ever more.

Maybe fit a lock or latch with a deeper backset to move the handle inwards slightly to give more room ?

Ollie
That's exactly the idea that solves it! Thank you, seen a few that fit the bill, below for example

Screenshot_20221016-135236_Chrome.jpg

I'd fix a new jamb and a narrower door, which would resolve it nicely. If it was mine, I think anything less would bug me for ever more.
That's definitely an option and may be the one if the deeper backset ends up looking odd

I'd do the narrower door option like rogx says. As long as you can get whatever furniture in after! Unless you've chosen a solid door with a wide stile, many I've hung only have a lock block and that may cause a problem with a longer back set. And 2" is a big backset. Dont worry sometimes we get tunnel vision when concentrating on a job and don't see an issue, we've all done it and will do again!😊 I'm sure it'll turn out just fine.

I'd do the narrower door option like rogx says. As long as you can get whatever furniture in after! Unless you've chosen a solid door with a wide stile, many I've hung only have a lock block and that may cause a problem with a longer back set. And 2" is a big backset. Dont worry sometimes we get tunnel vision when concentrating on a job and don't see an issue, we've all done it and will do again!😊 I'm sure it'll turn out just fine.
Thankfully it just leads to the WC so not much width required. From the insulated plasterboard I've got 747mm i.e. getting a 762mm door and adjusting seems the way forward. Also means don't need to find a deeper backset that also has a latch function. It's a very small part of a large house renovation and I knew when doing it that it would be something I would need to address when it came around to putting doors back but made the assumption that there would be solutions, which thankfully there seem to be a few!

Digging up my old post but just by way of update as have been busy with other rooms and came back to this a few weeks ago.
Long story short, actually flipping the door would work out better than I thought it would. Basically it's a WC with the basin being fitted to the wall on the right as you walk in i.e flipping the door means you are walking in on the gap side, not trying to squeeze past the basin into the room if that makes sense.
Given the side with the issue will be the hinge and not handle side, i've opted for longer term ease by keeping the standard off shelf door jamb dimensions and added some trim to transition from this to the new wall wider width.

20230815_133038.jpg
20230815_133047.jpg

Now you have it solved I feel free to say my first thought

Replace door with giant cat flap.

No very funny and less so when still struggling

Latest posts

Back