Door opening enlargement when framing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
So I have a little issue

The height of the frame of my porch is limited with how high I can go because of a an existing roof line. This leads to an issue with the door opening. wickes door frame states it need about 2067mm of space but I only have about 2030mm of space. My question is can I do something like this to the opening to enlarge just the opening.

door%20mock%20up_zpsmjlglnvg.jpg

The roof would then sit as follows (roof quickly mocked to give idea of how i see it fitting but in the real thing all proper cuts would be made obviously haha)
door%20mock%20up-with%20roof_zpstd2dhtb1.jpg

does the ridge beam need a support at the end over the door frame? like in the following image or is the above all good?
door%20mock%20up-roof%20support_zpsnqpuutnp.jpg

the depth of the porch is 1400mm ish so it is not a great expanse.

Cheers
Mark

I wouldn't have a vertical support for the ridge down to the door header as you have it. That can only deflect the header and cause problems later. Rather, have a horizontal tie across the top of the header between the rafters either side. This will form a triangle across the end which will support the ridge and stop the rafters trying to spread the walls.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Celston,
I was thinking of a tie to hold it together instead of the vertical support, but was not sure if that was the done method. (I am assuming a tie on all trusses used btw)

So if I do the tie then how I have enlarged the door opening would be ok so I can get the extra height that I need for the door frame?

Cheers
Mark

sorry re-reading your post and want to make sure I have it right.

are you saying to put a collar tie on the rafters like so

fig0923.jpg

or are you saying tie it from the door header horizontally to the rafters

Cheers
Mark

If you like you can put a collar tie on all of the rafters, depending on the weight of the roof covering that might be overkill. IMHO, you can probably get away with a single tie just above the door header at the front, and nail/screw through the header into it. N.B.: I've assumed that the wall verticals are fixed to the house at the rear, so they can't spread from the weight of the roof at the back...

yeah the wall verticals are fixed to the house.
well the cover is clay tiles so I think it should be ok to just have the tie on the front.

For confirmation you are saying put the tie so it sits on the header and is nailed into the header as well as the rafters correct?
Cheers
Mark

markblue777":3c8hi98f said:
For confirmation you are saying put the tie so it sits on the header and is nailed into the header as well as the rafters correct?

Yup, that's the one,

Back