Wardrobe sliding doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintain

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a "home made" solution for wardrobe sliding door fitting/procedure or do I need to buy expensive sliding door kit.
N.B:
I need to build a wardrobe to fit into an alcove 59" (1.5m - ish) wide x 10ft (3m - ish) High.
I need to having sliding doors.
I have decided on mdf 18mm board door size of 3 x 18" (0.46m - ish) wide. (doors will be worked to replicate frame and panel doors then painted)
The 3 x reasonably light weight sliding doors needs to be arranged to fully open to 1 x width of 18". i.e. each board sliding behind the other/s.
The 3m height will be filled with (1) draws to about knee height (2) 72" (1.8m -- perhaps 60" 1.5m) high sliding doors and (3) storage at top level.

The space in the room I am having to prepare as a bedroom dictates sizes etc.

Sliding door gear is not super expensive. I got a stainless rail with nice rollers from Amazon it was about £50 and is pretty well made (for a 44mm door), the non showy ones are even cheaper.
Not sure its worth the time to make a home made solution here.

Ollie

A few of thoughts - you may find a 2 door solution better::
  • fitting 3 narrow doors ~50cm wide will be less stable on the door track than 2 wider ones of ~75cm. Note most commercially available wardrobe doors start at ~60cm wide to fit a floor to ceiling gap of ~225cm - you are planning 300cm.
  • being able to access only 50cm of wardrobe with 3 doors will be a constraint on accessibility, and possibly limit the size/width of drawers you are planning at the bottom
  • for the storage area at the top a 50cm width may limit that which you are able to easily store. As steps will be needed (unless very tall!) it would be safer with easier access.

Sliding door gear is not super expensive. I got a stainless rail with nice rollers from Amazon it was about £50 and is pretty well made (for a 44mm door), the non showy ones are even cheaper.
Not sure its worth the time to make a home made solution here.

Ollie
Agree with Ollie. Buy off-the-shelf guides and rollers. Bear in mind that you can go top or bottom mounted rollers - whichever works best for you.

I went for bi-fold doors, to get the biggest clear opening. This replaced the original 2-sliders, because, with the old 11/2inch doors, I didn't like the almost 2 inch set-back to the rear door.

Latest posts

Back