Door making sets for a router.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
Right chaps, Iv'e promised my wife I would build a potting shed/greenhouse on the end of my workshop, I have already built a 3 sided block wall 1m high tied into the end, I intend to manufacture a hardwood 3 sided single glazed surround to sit on top of the blockwork and finish the roof off with polycarbonate sheets (one of which will open a few inches.
I would like to purchase a set of cutters to make the hardwood frames, Iv'e never done anything like this before, and after looking on ebay I see that there are some Trend tct sets for sale at about £20-£30, does this seem right? in my APTC catologue the CMT ones are a lot more, my question is, are the trend ones false economy or would they be good ones to learn with?, I dont have a spindle moulder and would attempt to do this on an inverted router on my mac table saw.
ANY advice will be a bonus.
regards, Rich.

This months ( March 08 ) issue of The Woodworker has an article about building a panelled door using the Freud router bit set. It would probably having a read.

Thanks Frugal, I must be as thick as pigxxxt, Iv'e got the mag in the workshop, just have'nt had time to read it yet.
regards, Rich.

Hi Rich, I have a Trend set and another non descript set from E-bay and they both perform well. I have had the cheapie set from E-bay for over a year now and it still works well. I just occasionally touch it up with the diamond stone and that's all. :wink:

You sure we're not married to the same woman Rich?
I've got the foundations in for the same but the woodwork's been delayed by building the new workshop.
Unless you're getting into door building a cheapo set of cutters will be perfectly ok, unless you want an expensive set to frame of course! :lol:

Roy.

Well Roy, if we are married to the same woman, it must be your turn to have her, joking apart , I'm not even sure where to begin here, I'll be making it up as I go along, I could get the frames made up but theres no fun in that, I'd rather have a go myself, what concerns me is can I do it on my ts/ cum router table, I have a Bosch pof500a under there at the moment and that only takes a 1/4" shank, so I suppose I'll have to replace it with one that takes a 1/2" shank, I'm lucky in that I can get hold of 600x1200x6mm sheets of poly for next to nothing so thats what I'll be glazing with, there should be a pic of my table on my workshop thread, its cast ally, would this take a bigger router? lots of questions, few answers, only one way to find out, I'll take the plunge, (from below of course).
regards, Rich.

PS, Thanks for the reply mailee, you give me confidence.

If you take it steady Rich a 1/4 inch router will do most things that a 1/2 inch one will, but having said that I'll hazard a guess that all woodworkers eventually end up with a 1/2 incher. (Router I mean!) :lol:
The greatest advantage of the larger M/C IMO is the longer cutters that can be used.

Roy.

When you say "Door", what sort of door are you talking about?

I've only ever seen door-making router cutter sets for smaller doors, such as those found on the front of cabinets. I've not come across any for larger interior/exterior doors, like the ones in your house (35mm-40mm thick).

I guess you could use the same panel moulding cutters but getting a rail and stile set to suit could be a problem - unless, perhaps, you have found some of the ones I am looking for... In which case, I'm all ears (well, eyes, actually!). :)

Good work Shultzy, those are the ones I'm after!

Don't suppose you've come across any available in the UK, by any chance?

Olly,

Take a look at this set on ebay. I have bought one but only had time to run a test cut on a couple of off cuts, fitted together nicely. Not quite the same as Shultzy, it only has a 1/4" groove for the panel.
If you Email the seller he will quote you the postage costs, I have a small collection of his cutters. I have even bought 3 over the course of 10 days and he has been happy to ship in one package to keep the cost down.

OPJ, Just been on holiday and while reading the March edition of "The Woodworker" I came across an article on making a garden room door using a new router set from Freud. On the down side its a whopping £189 - Ouch!

The Freud Exterior and Interior Door Set - part number 99/267

www.freudtooling.co.uk

Good work, Mike! :D

Apparently, Freud also do a set now for about £190. I've heard good things about Infinity Tools' cutters though (they're featured on the home page for this site).

Back