Door hindge/lock jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
HAs anyone got any links for measurements for diy hindge/lock jigs for a 1/4 inch router. I was considering buying them online however with me needing other new tools, the costs are spiralling so maybe i could knock up the jigs untill its time i can afford them.

What size router bit and guide bush will i need for the hindge/locks.

Think my Trend hinge jig came with a 16mm guide bush and 12mm cutter, the cutter generally needs to be a long reach one.

If you are making the jig yourself you can use different combinations of cutter and bush, you just need to make the openings the right size to allow for this.

Not used a lock jig but not sure if a 1/4 inch router will be up to it, you would have to take it very steady.

Doug

Doug71":1qceipcs said:
Think my Trend hinge jig came with a 16mm guide bush and 12mm cutter, the cutter generally needs to be a long reach one.

If you are making the jig yourself you can use different combinations of cutter and bush, you just need to make the openings the right size to allow for this.

Not used a lock jig but not sure if a 1/4 inch router will be up to it, you would have to take it very steady.

Doug

Any trend jigs ive seen online are expensive. I know they look an excellent piece of kit but i wouldnt be using them that often so i cant see myself spending that amount for it.

Are all bushs different sizes for differnt router bits or can you use any bush you want?. Say if i have a 30mm bush and using it with a small hinge router bit, would this be ok?

Yes you can use any size bush with any size bit (as long as the bit fits in the bush!), 30mm is a standard size bush.

As I say my jig came with a 16mm bush but I actually use a 17mm bush instead, my router is Festool and they don't make a 16mm guide bush to fit it. It just means I have to allow for 5mm offset instead of 4mm.

Doug

Hi, You can use any size you like as long as the cutter goes through the collar, I made a jig for a 100mm hinge that uses a 7mm cutter and a 12mm collar made from a bit of MDF and wood from the offcuts pile. Clamp it to the door and away you go. Door lock jigs bit of a strain on a 1/4 inch router.
hinge jig.jpg

Attachments

• hinge jig.jpg
    hinge jig.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 77
Seiken":auz9s10n said:
Hi, You can use any size you like as long as the cutter goes through the collar, I made a jig for a 100mm hinge that uses a 7mm cutter and a 12mm collar made from a bit of MDF and wood from the offcuts pile. Clamp it to the door and away you go. Door lock jigs bit of a strain on a 1/4 inch router.

Thank you. Thats looks excellent.

I have this bush and these router bits. What extra will i allow more than the hindge if they are 75x50mm if i use these below on my homemade jig.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-Gb30-Gui ... Dia+E44184

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-89993-4 ... er+Bit+Set

phil.p":3ijzym5c said:
Only the panel trim in that set is 1/4", so you're stumped if you've only a 1/4" router.

Sorry, i forgot to mention ive bought these for my kitchen worktops. Im going to borrow a 1/2 inch router for the day. Can i use these rotuer bits for the hindges or will i need to buy a new bit for my 1/4 inch router?

phil.p":1cnx57hj said:
I've always done lock motices without a jig as such, just opposing fences so the thing can't pull to one side. Take most of the waste out with the plunge, then clean the sides - it's less strain on everything.

I will just do the mortices with the drill and chisel

Latest posts

Back