Door hanging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a piece of scrap timber something like 50x50, 450mm long.

You now need to cut out half the thickness in the center, one side of the cut should be at right angles to the long edge, the other at about 15 degrees. Width at the narrowest part say 50mm.

Now cut a wedge from a bit more 50mm material with a 15deg slope, thick end 25mm, thin end 3mm and this should come out around 125mm long.

Drop the door into the slot and tap the wedge in to hold the door firm.

If its not clear, I'll take a pic of mine.

Jason

Thanks for that, the description is great. I think it was the angle I was unsure about and when I had a go before I made the cut out on the main piece square not with one edge with an angle.

Thanks again

Dave

Here's another way of doing it

The horizontal part is made of thin stock so that when the door is placed between the uprights the weight of the door closes them and holds the door tight, very simple and effective method.

IMGP2434.jpg

alternatively you can roll your workbench on to its side and use that to hold the door whilst you work it. this has the added advantage of allowing you to 'grip' the door by closing the workbench onto the bottom/top of the door.

Personally i prefer this way.

neilyweely":373xp0kk said:
alternatively you can roll your workbench on to its side and use that to hold the door .

Bit of a pain to lug a big beech bench around with you for site work though :wink: even carrying the door back to the workshop to shoot a bit more off if doing it at home will be a pain.

There is a plastic version of what waka has shown, but cant find it at the moment, Trend also do one that clamps to the corner of the door.

Jason

You can get some gizmos from Magnet and a few other places that you drop the door into and it grips it automatically. I have used them but for everyday use I don't think they would last long.

Or a good old fashioned wooden sawhorse with a wedge cut out of the end.Does anyone still use them?

skipdiver":1tybr8hq said:
Or a good old fashioned wooden sawhorse with a wedge cut out of the end.Does anyone still use them?

I do....i'd be lost without them :D

As for fitting doors i generally use a bit of scrap timber (architrave,3"x1",etc) wedged in/across the door frame/casing with a notch cut out to hold the door......works a treat :D

jason b wrote-"Bit of a pain to lug a big beech bench around with you for site work though even carrying the door back to the workshop to shoot a bit more off if doing it at home will be a pain. "

eerrmm, black and decker workmate sort of thing, thought you may have known about this.

it works well, so give it a go. The thing is everyone has a b&d workmate or clone, and there is usually one knockin about on site or wherever, so it couldn't be easier.

You know what I mean now, don't you? I think it's called a workmate. Little metal legs, wood top comes apart with vice sort of action.........

Sorry, hope this helps folks.

cheers,

neil

sorry, didn't read on far enough.

Paul Chapman - hallelujah, I thought everyone knew that trick! Then I started to wonder if i had said something really stupid.
Thanks mate, at least you are reading me!

over and out

neil

If it's a new build, like the one I'm working on at the moment, then struggle!
If it's a replacement, and the original is a decent fit, what I do is remove all the metal work, clamp the old and new together then run a router around using a bearing guided cutter.
Works every time!

Roy.

Top tip Roy.Got a load of replacement doors to do next week.They have oak lipped edges(from B and Poo) and some of the grain is pretty wild.Did the downstairs a while back and had trouble getting a good finish on one or two of them.Upstairs to do next week.

Waka":2w20fnfz said:

The horizontal part is made of thin stock so that when the door is placed between the uprights the weight of the door closes them and holds the door tight, very simple and effective method.
I think you've invented a good Bike Stand there Waka. I should patent it quick!

Regards
John :D

Benchwayze":2qcpk5c8 said:
Waka":2qcpk5c8 said:

I think you've invented a good Bike Stand there Waka. I should patent it quick!

Regards
John :D

Now that's a good idea.

Back