Door casing...any suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to try and fix/make right this door casing which is fixed to an out of line hall wall!!
The previous owner seems to have given up on the job!
I think it was a new opening from the hallway into the lounge.
The wall runs out from top to bottom by about 2" (two inches!)!!!
The wall has to stay as it is, so a new casing is needed!
The old casing is still in, please see pics and any suggestions would be most welcome!!
(The pics shows the casing from various points)
Thankyou!!

DSCN0228.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0228.JPG
    DSCN0228.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0229.JPG
    DSCN0229.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0230.JPG
    DSCN0230.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0231.JPG
    DSCN0231.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0232.JPG
    DSCN0232.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 119
  • From hall.JPG
    From hall.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 119
You make the casing wide enough to accommodate any out of true lean in the wall, and the architrave wide enough to span any out of true lean in the edges of the opening. Then all the error is behind the architrave and not visible from front on. You can fill the gap behind the architrave.

Hi,
With most people on here being cabinet makers and myself a site man, this is somethig I have come across a lot in my time, looking at your photos I would suggest you leave your frame n place if it is plumb as you say.
Remove the architraves on the outside of casing in your hallway (front door photo) would suggest you get hold of some 50mm x 30mm timber I presume this to be the width of your door frame? you will then starting on the head have to either plane or cut your timber to a fillet shape this will take time but be satisfying at the end and glue and pin to your existing frame,
now do the same to both styles.
once you have done this to both styles and head you can refix your architrave, you may have to get a wider architrave than that already there to cove your plasterwork.

Now for inside of room the side that the door is swung, I suggest you get hold of some wider architraving once you put against frame you will see there is a gap behind the archs, measure this gap and cut a fillet pieceabout 10mm - 15mm wide you can glue this to the outer edge of the architraving this will infill the gap to the wall it will of course make your architrave look very chunky section but this method would be your easiest.

BRICKLAYERS!!!!!

Thanks OldSchoolTools, but the frame will have to come out, apart from the bottom being cut short (pic)..the top inside (hinge position) is badly damaged, due to the door being forced open because we had no key for the lock!
So it looks like as you said, a wider frame needs to go in, followed by 'chunky' architraves!!

Cheers
Gerry

I've never quite seen a doorway so far out but I'm only young yet. I would find it hard to tolerate that doorway and I'm uncertain if the idea of a thick architrave would work or even look OK. But the pro's recommended it so....?

A more difficult approach would be to rip the door casing out and rebuild a new plumb and square case. Then to fix the wall issue by putting scribed fillets vertically over it and covering with plasterboard. This should match up to the edges of your new door case. The downside is its a lot of work and you will lose a little space but it will look square and plumb both inside and out. Then refix with architrave matching the rest of the house.

Back