Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
My mate Phil who I share a workshop with and I have an old very knackered Performance Power biscuit joiner which needs replacing.

Phil's solution is to spend £100 - £150 on a half decent biscuit joiner. My solution is to spend £500 between us on a Domino. He thinks I'm barking mad!

What do you think?

Dan

I haven't heard of anyone who had the domino and didn't like it.

also - consider that it may speed things up generally and pay for itself quickly.

remember that it can do joints that a biscuit cant !

it really depends on if you would make full use of it I suppose.

If I get busy enough I would consider getting one.

I think you can do 'through' domino's too ? which could look nice

We've got one at work and it's undoubtedly a peachy peice of kit... I'm on a junior cabinet makers wage at the mo and I'm thinking about getting one, with an extractor it'll cost me a month's wages! That's worth it :lol:

I would say buy the domino. I have hardly used my biscuit joiner since getting one. I have had it about 18 months and i think it paid for itself after the first 2 jobs using it. I mainly use it for beaded face frames and carcases and most jobs you would usually use a biscuit jointer for.

jon

Dan Tovey":351wnwot said:
My solution is to spend £500 between us on a Domino. He thinks I'm barking mad!

What do you think?

Dan

Too right you're barking! What about the other £13,500 you'd have to spend on a full set, only to play a game! :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sorry for the frivolity Dan - manic day at work. :oops:

Mark

If you can't convince Phil's tell him that I can sell my dewalt Biscuit Jointer for £125 :lol:

Owning one for about nine months I've found that the Domino doesn't replace the biscuit jointer - a Maffel in my case.

For work with sheet material like MDF I still use biscuits, and for more 'structural' work with frames, furniture etc. the Domino really comes into its own.

I've had great sucess with multiple Dominoes in timber up to 50 x 75 with careful marking out.

And biscuits are a good bit cheaper than Dominoes! :wink:

It all depends on what type of work you do really. Judging from the pics I've seen of your work, it would be useful, but I agree completely that it does not replace the BJ entirely.

For cabinetry and furniture, yes it's great, and you will quickly recoup your money in saved time if you do as much as I understand you to do.

For sheet-material carcases a BJ is more forgiving and probably quicker, as you have to shorten the doms if you are cutting into 18mm board.

For architectural woodwork it really is not going to replace a hollow-chisel mortiser.

It's fairly heft tool at 6kg. Do you know anyone you can visit to have a play, before you mortgage your wife? :)

HTH
That nice Mr Maskery

I've got one and I really like, I use it for all my carcassing work as I find it gives me excellent strength and alignment, especially if you are trying to make a big carcass (I often make near full sheet size ones). You will find that you need some of the accessories not included in the kit but if you twist your dealers arm he may throw them in. I haven't had to shorten a domino yet not sure what sort of joint you would do where you needed to, but you do have to change the depth stop in between doing sides and bases which you do need to remember.
If you didn't live so far away you could come and have a go with mine!
Simon

I was tempted after seeing Oryxdesign's the other day. Very efficient way to work. But it's too much money for the hobbiest. I can buy a tablesaw for the initial outlay of a domino.

Tim gave me a quick overview on his Domino and I came away seriously impressed. The big plus that he told me about and not mentioned yet is the repeatability and self-registration which you don't get with a biscuit jointer.

I've tried one and if I could afford it I'd go out and buy one now. I'd probably keep the biscuit jointer as well though (Elu DS140).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back