Domino jointer instead of morticer and tenoner?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":6ws3ll82 said:
but because the plunge depth is quite small compared with a mortice machine (even on the XL).

As your picture shows the depth of mortise is dependant on the length of chisel which in this case doesn't look much deeper than an XL would cut. Certainly on the bench top mortiser I had the depth of cut between 1/4 & 1/2" chisels was not much greater than the XL.

tomf":6ws3ll82 said:
Why would you not use pocket holes to create the face frame?

Obviously you can but it increases the size of the timber you have to use to enable two screws to be inserted (I wouldn't want to use only one screw on a joint) on a kitchen wide face frames would look out of proportion.

Doug B":18dglsn4 said:
custard":18dglsn4 said:
but because the plunge depth is quite small compared with a mortice machine (even on the XL).

As your picture shows the depth of mortise is dependant on the length of chisel which in this case doesn't look much deeper than an XL would cut. Certainly on the bench top mortiser I had the depth of cut between 1/4 & 1/2" chisels was not much greater than the XL.

Doug, you'll get a significantly greater plunge depth from a morticer. Even a mid range machine, say like a Sedgwick 571, has about a 5" plunge, where as the XL is similar to most routers at about 3" maximum plunge. And chisel length isn't an issue for morticing machines, for angled mortices that aren't perpendicular to the workpiece then normal chisels will do as it's about plunge depth not chisel length, but if you need a deeper mortice depth then there's no problems sourcing extended length chisels.

custard":3hyoejiy said:
Doug B":3hyoejiy said:
custard":3hyoejiy said:

Doug, you'll get a significantly greater plunge depth from a morticer. Even a mid range machine, say like a Sedgwick 571, has about a 5" plunge, where as the XL is similar to most routers at about 3" maximum plunge. And chisel length isn't an issue for morticing machines, for angled mortices that aren't perpendicular to the workpiece then normal chisels will do as it's about plunge depth not chisel length, but if you need a deeper mortice depth then there's no problems sourcing extended length chisels.

My point was based on your photo which showed a chisel that looks less than 4" long to the shoulder of the chisel, regardless of the plunge depth of a machine you can only mortise up to that shoulder. I appreciate that a floor standing machine can have a far greater plunge depth than a domino but the actual depth of mortise is dependant on the chisel.

custard":bon2ns4d said:
RobinBHM":bon2ns4d said:
I wouldnt use it for doors as I have tooling that will do scribe and tenon in one hit. However I can see it would be useful for doors or windows which have awkward shapes, ie raked heads or trangular windows - would a domino work for these?

Good question.

You can jig up a Domino and use it for mortices in angled components (there are two threaded holes in the sole plate which are useful for securing the Domnino to the jig), here's an example,

But you're generally restricted to a mortice that's perpendicular to the face of the workpiece. That needs a bit of qualification, you can sometimes make an angled mortice, but because the plunge depth is quite small compared with a mortice machine (even on the XL) you'll normally be fairly restricted with an angled mortice when using a Domino.

Compare the above set up with this one, a compound angled mortice on a chair leg using a morticer.

You can see it's much easier to set up this joint on a morticer (after all the clamping is built into the machine) the fixturing arrangement is easier to set up, I can tell you from practical experience that it's easier to achieve high levels of accuracy, and you have a significantly deeper plunge facility so can handle more extreme angles.

As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of the Domino and use both machines regularly, but once you go off-piste with your furniture making into areas like compound angles and mortices in shaped pieces, then you'll find a traditional mortice machine much more versatile.

Good luck!

Hi Custard,
Many thanks for posting this, it has given ne quite a bit of food for thought. The images are especially useful as the domino fixed in a jig shows interesting possibilities. I think for most applications I would be using the domino perpendicular to the joint face.

Cheers Robin

Just to update this. I ended up borrowing a domino jointer from my mate to do his kitchen. It probably reduced the jointing time by two thirds. Got a bit tiring doing it all day but yanking on the handle of a morticer gets tiring to.

Certainly worth adding to my arsenal of tools.

Certainly a good move to borrow one and see the benefits for yourself. I find its one of those tools you get quicker and quicker with. Once you put your faith in the domino there's no turning back from the dark and green side lol

For anyone else reading about the festool domino and wondering about how useful they are, do what I did, I rang festool uk and asked if there was anyware I could try one out not just look at it in a tool shop, they arranged for one of their demo vans to come out to the site where I was working. A very nice chap called Bob came out & gave me a complete demo of the machine and it's uses, and then left it with me to play with for about 4 hours, while he visited the local Festool dealers.
The very next day I purchased a domino df 500 and a extractor, unfotunatly it was the start on a slippery slope.
That was 4 years ago, and festool have relieved me of a few pence since, I never for one moment thought that I would ever part with hard earned money to buy Festool but I have admit it is exceptional quality
HD

Homers double":j042n2k7 said:
For anyone else reading about the festool domino and wondering about how useful they are, do what I did, I rang festool uk and asked if there was anyware I could try one out not just look at it in a tool shop, they arranged for one of their demo vans to come out to the site where I was working. A very nice chap called Bob came out & gave me a complete demo of the machine and it's uses, and then left it with me to play with for about 4 hours, while he visited the local Festool dealers.
The very next day I purchased a domino df 500 and a extractor, unfotunatly it was the start on a slippery slope.
That was 4 years ago, and festool have relieved me of a few pence since, I never for one moment thought that I would ever part with hard earned money to buy Festool but I have admit it is exceptional quality
HD
Bob Vine ? I know him very well and yes he's a very nice bloke.

He's been over to my workshop a couple of times he also does a lot of the trade shows.

A lot of people don't realise Festool offer this service. When I needed to decide what sander to get I rang Bob and he brought the RO 150 and 90 to my workshop. I tested both fully and went for the 150. There's no pressure to buy as they don't sell its just a demo.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

chippy1970":31s2qqee said:
Bob Vine ? I know him very well and yes he's a very nice bloke.

He's been over to my workshop a couple of times he also does a lot of the trade shows.

A lot of people don't realise Festool offer this service. When I needed to decide what sander to get I rang Bob and he brought the RO 150 and 90 to my workshop. I tested both fully and went for the 150. There's no pressure to buy as they don't sell its just a demo.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Without wanting to sound a bit fanboy - I came across this too. I was given an offer for demos "at my place" at a show, but explained that I'm just a private hobbyist (that happened to own a couple of their products). The guy shrugged his shoulders and told me it didn't matter - they'd come to you and demo stuff regardless. I guess that's partly what you're paying for with the price of their tools, but nevertheless I have been impressed with their service - and would note that a DF700 paired with a CTL26 is an amazing bit of kit.

bob vine the scoundrel! came to my college 8 years ago! they have probably had £5k from me since!!!

talking about sowing a seed!

adidat

It was Bob Vine, he has been to visit me recently to demo the Kapex, (which incidentally is how I found UK Workshop forums, I was searching for some proper reviews of the Kapex from real users) he was also at UK Planet tools open day in Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago where I tried out the HKC55.
As chippy1970 said there is no pressure what so ever to buy as he's not on commission

Back