DOL Starter wiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepherd

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone give me some pointers on wiring this new starter? Ideally I'd get a engineer in but that's not an option at the moment.
On the existing one there's a piece of wire going from l2 to t1, not sure if this needs to be used in the new switch.
I'm also unclear as to whether the loose leads from the on/off buttons need to be connected.

Based on the information on the TS site the switch is rated 3kw at 240v which seems right, the information on this site http://www.teerachaiphaisal.co.th/pdf/t ... 16-217.pdf seems to suggest it's only 1.1kw at 240v? I could be reading it wrong though.
switch
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 080/p95364
thermal overload relay- 12a based on the setting of the old switch
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 080/p21443

Thanks in advance!

Hi , did you manage to get your stop/start unit wired ? it's simple in practice but difficult to explain.

LIVE -----------[/]------------------[/]-------[-----------[ ]----------]-----------CONTACTOR COIL--------------------NEUTRAL
stop button o/load [ start button ]
contact [ ]
[ ]
[ ]
------------[ ]------------
retaining contact

Thanks for all the help,

I did manage to get it working although the machine itself is still playing up.
It trips the main breaker in the house 50% of the time when starting, thought the switch may have been the problem...
Maybe try the bearings next? It seems like an electrical problem as it cuts of instantly.
If anyone has experience with this situation I'd appreciate any help. It's a Multico TM1 with original motors.

Cheers

I;ve a big angle grinder that trips my RCD socket every time as it starts with such a high draw of power but is ok on fused circuits.

Although others will disagree with the science (including my Dad who's a sparky) it has been reported on here where such an issue was caused or at least cured by cleaning dust out of switches & RCDs (with the powe off !). Check all switches & connections on the circuit & meter out the startup amperage if possible to see what it draws...you could try starting it with all other high powered appliances in the house switched off which is a long shot but you never know. It could be a short but they are not usually intermittant. .

.. how old is the wiring & is it a decent size (cross section)? If the wiring warms up it increases it's resistance which increases the load..or some such thing.

HTH

Togs

Thanks Togs,

The wiring back to house is probably 30 years old, the workshop itself was rewired 2 years ago. I cant remember the exact gauge of the wire off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure its all standard stuff. I'll definitely check for dust in the circuitry, I'm willing try anything at this point!

The motor was professionally overhauled a couple of years ago, not sure exactly what they did but I'm assuming the windings, centrifugal switch etc. was all checked.

The matching motor on the tenoner works fine, always has done. Whatever is causing the problem is tripping a 40a breaker in the house (bypassing the board in the workshop) so it's causing a huge spike in current.

Cheers

This is how I wired mine up a few years back...

1350005433_a5777c9377.jpg

Back