Elf Coronet lathe starter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeiomuk

Reaction score
Good evening
I am new to the site and hoping someone may be able to help me. I have use of a elf coronet wood lathe. part way through turning a pen I stopped the lathe to reset the tool rest, when pressing the start button it failed to run. The motor hums but will not turn over, I have checked that the motor will turn with power off and that nothing is jamming the lathe. This leads me to believe that the starter unit has failed, has anyone replaced this unit on an Elf and if so what with? below is some info that I got off the starter unit.
Brook control gear, ac motor contactor, type HE-B10SS/10
No volt load starter switch ref 8121005 overload range 3.5 amps
thermal overload relay type RH B18BS/40
motor info w370 rpm 1425
v230-240 ph1 50hz
line volts 0-440 480 500max
full load amps 13 12 10
some of the above info is hard to read but I am sure it is right.
Any information would be most welcome and thanks for your time in advance.
Mike

You say the motor hums, does it spin up if you give the chuck a spin by hand to start it?

If so then it is most likely the start capacitor or possibly a centrifugal switch in the motor casing that has failed.

Need details of motor specification plate to try and determine if it has a centrifugal switch.

99% sure that is a start capacitor failure. Assuming it's an original motor, then the cap is in the bulbous housing on the side of the motor. Open it up, read the spec of the capacitor and order replacement of equivalent or higher rating that will fit into the space, and Robert should be your uncle.

Thank you both for your help, I have not tried starting the lathe and spinning the chuck on the grounds of safety. All the info on the motor rating plate I have listed. Ref the capacitor this was my first thought as I have had same problem on a compressor a few years back only problem was could not see one anywhere, however I did not take the end off the motor only the wiring accesses plate. I will be able to ghetto the lathe tomorrow and will remove the end of the motor and have a look, I will report back what I find
Mike

Latest posts

Back