Dog proof fencing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in desperate need, to get my fencing sorted.

I have two very active golden retrievers, who like to go and play in the fields. Worryingly, they said hello to some sheep at the weekend!

On both sides of the back garden, I have two 40m stretches. At the rear I have solid panels (featherboarding and standard fence panels), that work really well.

At both sides I have nice views and hedges and other plants, so I do not want to put a solid fence up.

I am thinking about going for the picket fencing, similar to what I have at the front of the house (2 rails and 1.1m pickets).

The other idea is to get stock fencing and big post!

What has worked best for you in the past?

Green chain link, though you could use sheep netting - I then grew a hedge through it so no longer visible.

Rod

+1 for the green chain link but you may need to peg it to the ground as well - my son has a Rotweiller whose middle name should be Houdini.
The link fence works well and he now has a beech hedge growing through it.

This is what we have between us and a paddock with horses which leaned against the original No8 wire fence and flattened it.
It's strong and doesn't interfere too much with the view. It's galvanised and the posts are concreted in and the panels bolt between the posts.
fence.jpeg

Attachments

• fence.jpeg
    fence.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,704
Another vote for the chain link. It may be difficult to get in place with a hedge already there but worth it. I had that in my last place but had to bury the last foot or so to stop foxes getting under it :)

With the chain link, do you have metal posts or wooden?

Any ideas on price per meter -= including the posts?

Mine was on metal (angle iron shape I think) - erected in 1976 and still working.
Sorry no idea about costs but must be a lot cheaper than other types?

Rod

Hi

I used stock fencing:

https://www.eawire.co.uk/stock-fencing-medium-heavy

I think it's actually less conspicuous than chain link, (the zinc plate soon dulls down and there's less of it per unit area). It's probably cheaper than chain link too, give your local agricultural supplier a call / visit - should be around £1 / metre. I secured it to 3" square wooden fence posts, (stabs), and tensioned it between 8" strainers, both of which should be obtainable from your local sawmill.

On no account purchase any of these items from a garden centre or 'shed' but if you fancy a laugh compare their prices :wink: :wink:

Regards Mick

Test your dogs for high jumping ability before deciding the height and make sure there is nothing close to the fence they can stand on.
Chain link is probably cheapest option and should have greater spans between posts. Doesn't look great though. I have a couple of panels made up of frames with cross bracing, so there are 2 X with a frame round them, then infilled with 50mm wire grid, from a distance you can't see the metal grid.
Main problem with that is if the sheep are close the dogs can still them.

Spindle":3jycrsks said:
Hi

I used stock fencing:

https://www.eawire.co.uk/stock-fencing-medium-heavy

I think it's actually less conspicuous than chain link, (the zinc plate soon dulls down and there's less of it per unit area). It's probably cheaper than chain link too, give your local agricultural supplier a call / visit - should be around £1 / metre. I secured it to 3" square wooden fence posts, (stabs), and tensioned it between 8" strainers, both of which should be obtainable from your local sawmill.

On no account purchase any of these items from a garden centre or 'shed' but if you fancy a laugh compare their prices :wink: :wink:

Regards Mick

Had to do similar as Mick when Lottie our whippet discovered one day that she could squeeze through the hedge and also clear a 4' tall section of wire mesh fencing in pursuit of rabbits in next doors garden !

Used the same kind of livestock fencing, to a height of about five and a half feet, so that the hedging would grow through easily, or in sections with no hedging it was less visually intrusive.

Banging in I guess a couple of dozen 4" round poles with one of those "man killer" post drivers was a good workout too !

Cheers, Paul

Back