Does this "scoop" exist...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -
I want to scoop out the soft part of the grain of some cedar. Sandpaper folded in half a couple of times and used like a breadknife works quite well, but it's pretty slow.

I'm trying to imagine an ideal tool, and am guessing something like in the pic. The "bowl" would be an oval shape and sharp-edged, and the thing would be pulled in the direction of the arrow.
Does such a tool exist, or something better to do the same job?
Thanks v much,
Graham R

Attachments

• _20181217_191751.JPG
    _20181217_191751.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 876
Wire brushing can be an effective way of removing the softer growth and leaving the harder rings

If you want a more tooled texture a v carving chisel would work

Sorry, I just reread your post and realised I had misunderstood. I'll shut up now. :oops:

--Tom--":2al89tie said:
Wire brushing can be an effective way of removing the softer growth

I've found tbat hard wire brushes tend to take everything off and aren't flexible enough to dig just into the softer bits, and softer brass suede brushes don't do much at all.
Maybe there's different grades.

Blowlamp and wire brush, it will burn more of the soft wood which will leave the harder rings raised after brushing, or sandblasting.

Pete

Ok, I'm paying attention a bit better now and I have tried an experiment.

I knocked a flat headed nail into the end of a stick, with the nail protruding an inch or so. I then filed around the head of the nail so it was sharp all round.

On some fast grown softwood with very clear hard and soft layers, I could scrape out the soft part. The action was a bit like using a scratch stock, but without a fence, so you have to control angle, pressure and direction all at once. Assuming you are only planning to work on a small area, this might be an easy way to get going. Steel doesn't always need to be hardened and tempered to cut and resharpening will only take a few seconds.
I tried on some cedar as well, but the wood I have doesn't have such clearly different hard and soft areas and it didn't work so well. It did show that getting a smooth shaving depended on going with the grain.

I hope this helps more than last night's contribution!

You could try a hoof trimming knife from a local agricultural supplier, some are very close in shape to a carving scorp for much less money

AndyT: Thank-you! That's ingenious and sounds like it should work! No, it's not so easy when the hard and soft rings "fade" fron one to the other. You just have to use your judgement as to the crossover point.
I'll give the blowlamping (Pete M) a go, too.
Thanks to all for help & links. Merry New Year!

Just noticed this thread - I've done this several times over large areas using a NYLON bristled cup brush - the nylon is hard enough to take out the soft grain but soft enough that it gets worn away in use, and doesn't tear at the harder grain like a wire version does.

16823.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-nylo ... 4aEALw_wcB

I've used the drill ones instead of the angle grinder ones as the drill has lower rpm's and gives more control.

Before:
N0lAJRW.jpg

After:
D2adE0O.jpg

The nylon cup is soft enough that with a little care, it won't even cut through the plywood to the layer underneath, that the large panels are made from.

It's not smooth - but I found using a combination of a coarser 40 / 80 grit mop wheel like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-262 ... ROKL5A1OLE

then abrasive goblet mop (240grit) to be the easiest to reduce the sanding marks with all the countours.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-262 ... ROKL5A1OLE

I can't tell you how tactile it feels now, it's just lovely.

1Rkb0GX.jpg

Latest posts

Back