Does anyone have an Extech MO280 pinless moisture meter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the reply Keith.

The sources (sentences/paragraphs) I used for reference are the ones you provided in your replies so if you disagree with them I am not the one responsible.

[1] I will quote what you put in your last reply, [2]then quote a sentence which you have used in this thread from one of your references:

[1]
Both density and specific gravity of a particular piece of wood depend on its water content.

[2]
Wood specific gravity, the ratio of oven-dry weight of a given volume of wood to the weight of an equal volume of water

You seem to be disagreeing with your own sources, Keith, not me.

Your sources use wood which has achieved "oven-dry weight" as a reference to determine the "wood specific gravity". It is one of your sources not mine which uses this information to determine "wood-specific gravity".

Yes, we are never going to use wood in the state of "oven-dry weight" in making furniture, thats the point they are making when they say it's not a real state of how we use it. But they do use it for determining "wood specific gravity", your source does use wood in the state of "oven-dry weight" as reference.

So if your sources say they calculate "wood specific gravity" in relation to wood in the "oven-dry weight" state, why do you disagree?

I don't understand what point you are trying to make here Keith.

Mark

Mark,

I don't disagree with my own sources nor with what you have just said. I was trying to make the point that "wood specific gravity" is a technical term restricted to oven-dry wood. OTOH the phrase "specific gravity of wood" (or density of wood) is often used in the sense of referring to an actual piece of timber with whatever moisture content it has. It by no means always refers only to the oven dry state. "Specific gravity" is a term that can refer to any state of any material. If it is used to refer to a piece of wood in the workshop, then it will depend on the moisture content of that piece, since it changes with the MC.

When you were arguing that the specific gravity of a wood has nothing to do with moisture content, you were not restricting it to oven-dried wood.

Keith

MusicMan":otqgrb14 said:
Mark,

When you were arguing that the specific gravity of a wood has nothing to do with moisture content, you were not restricting it to oven-dried wood.

Keith
.........LOL........

Keith, I'd just like to say, it has been a pleasure discussing this subject with you, it's been quite informative, very interesting, quite educational and a bit of fun too. That aside, do feel the usefulness of this discussion has probably run it course, so I'll depart wishing you and all your family a very happy new year.

All the best, regards Mark

Back