Garden buildings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagori

Reaction score
This is not the most compelling of woodworking projects, but I have realised that the best possible location on my landscape for a new greenhouse, is built into the steep, south-facing bank near to the house. I am well aware that buying a standard greenhouse is cheaper (more efficient), but I am sure this is the better option (more effective).

Would mean it would be placed south facing slope for maximum solar gain, thermal mass from the earth, enormously contributing to its primary purpose, AND I would end up with a net gain of space around the house. I want to construct the structure myself but have no idea how I might start here in checking the possibility of the project - the structural and legal aspects.

I would not intend it to be tall enough to need planning permission (under 2.4m), but given the location - building into a steep bank, I would need to ensure that the build was safe. I guess my question here is - does anyone have any experience with starting a project like this - something not for living, so not necessarily needing planning permission but that needs diligent care in the 'planning' stage. Finding the start point then gives me the scope to price up the job from start to finish.

In the same breath, I need to move a garden building (9m x 3.5m) that has plumbing, electrics etc but lives on skids. Its not going far at all 0 from one end of the garden to the other - just 40 meters. I again, am not sure where to find someone who can assist in getting this off the ground and priced up.

Any insight or thoughts on either aspect greatly appreciated and all the best for the new year.

Back