Moisture meter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanous

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day you all!

Just seeking advice / confirmation that I'm doing it right. And if not, what am I doing wrong, please.

I got myself one of those Wagner Orion 950 moisture meters, to get some science behing the wood readiness. So I've got a chunk of wallnut I want to use in a hall. Entered wood density modifier for black walnut 0.55. I'm reading moisture between 15.5% to 16.5% on the board. Now when I switch to the equilibrium mode, move myself to the hall where the walnut will end up, it reads over 15%. So does that mean I'm only missing roughly 1% and therefore it's insignificant delta and I can start making dust? Or am I a complete muppet and the whole thing just whooshed my head?

Thanks

You hall will be warmer than your shop so maybe give a slightly different reading, one thing to remember is to give your timber the best chance, by trying as much as is practical to make the piece in similar temperatures to where it will end up. I found with my cheap flea bay meter that it gave different readings on the same piece of timber, if the meter itself was not allowed warm up to room temperature.:)

Good point, however the meter I have should take that into account, as it has a temp probe - question mark..? Hm...

Do what the hardwood flooring folks do, and set in in the area where it will be set in the area it's gonna e installed for at least 24 hrs.(with circulation on all sides)

Do what the hardwood flooring folks do, and set in in the area where it will be set in the area it's gonna e installed for at least 24 hrs.(with circulation on all sides)

Sound advice I've heard before, but sort of defeats the object of owning the meter in the first place, doesn't it.

No one got the asnwer? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back