do you sand after you scrape?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":1u10y7pe said:
andersonec":1u10y7pe said:
If you are getting fine scratches then your edges are not honed, try sharpening your scraper like this http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/ ... illiam-ng/ no need to sand when sharpened this way
Andy
Easy enough to do it that way and in fact that's the way that's the way I sharpen a card scraper...but at the beginning of the clip he uses 280g sandpaper after the card scraper and then says it's ready for a finish...which is wot I said in the first place! - Rob

Hadn't seen it for sometime Rob and forgot about the use of 280 grit and like you say, Maple should be good to go without sandpaper with it being so silky, it's just that I have seen so many people teaching the use of a file, including books, "put the scraper in a vice and rub it with a file then rub the sides of the scraper on the file", I presume the finish they achieve is close to 80 grit paper, I was taught (in 1964) to use a honing stone (oil in those days) and have done so ever since, the habit has never left me although I use the side of the stone to do the edge of the scraper to prevent damaging the flat face of the stone, the scraper is gripped between the lid and base of the box to keep it at 90deg then hone the sides on the face of the stone.

Andy

andersonec":wqh7ty4c said:
...to use a honing stone (oil in those days) and have done so ever since, the habit has never left me although I use the side of the stone to do the edge of the scraper to prevent damaging the flat face of the stone, the scraper is gripped between the lid and base of the box to keep it at 90deg then hone the sides on the face of the stone.

Andy
Same here, the guy in the clip gets the same outcome, but the scraper is held at 90deg vertically against a wooden block...horses for dooberies (hammer) - Rob

I watched that video when it was first uploaded to the wood whisper's youtube page, I must admit I didnt understand what the demonstrator was showing back then - I could see that whatever he was doing was working from the results but I didnt understand what was happening with the metal on the scraper. I watched that again just now and understood it, even though I still dont own any scrapers, funny the difference a year or so makes .

Back