Do you have yyour heating on yet !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenx":24266bxy said:
Not really "advocating" it Rich, no ....
But also by the same token.. the 'thought process' was intended from the 'needs must' camp.

Gas is a different matter and carrys legally binding obligations concerning competency.. Oil isn't as dangerous, and doesn't carry legal obligations on the part of anyone working on the equipment as a direct reflection of not being so.
With Gas.. No Corgi registration ( ACOPS 'as was ' ) - then 'no touchie'. You cannot produce Carbon Monoxide from an oil burner, and whilst I take your point, where would you draw the line ? Stopping people from fitting a plug ? Changing their own light bulbs ?
Service their own car or motorcycle ? :? Hardly !

I didn't serve my time as a turner... yet I'm playing with a dangerous piece of machinery that could potentially cause me some serious harm... but I'm reasonably safe in doing so, basically because I'm fortunate enough not to be an silly person.
And Fully legally, i hasten to add.

I'd take a reasonable guess that Roger posesses enough competency and sensibility not to hurt himself, and if a person didn't feel confident or competent to carry out a task thats perfectly legal to do, then by all means - avoid doing so.
Call someone in, pay the going rate, and thats fair enough.

If we take your thinking to the 'nth degree'... nobody will be able to do anything that they've not been certificated for, trained for, signed off on, etc etc, and when that day comes ( and I think it may indeed do so ), the world will become a poorer place for it.

This country was built on 'Garden Shed Engineering', and thinking such as yours will see to it that this is killed off very quickly.
Your wrong Lad.

8)

You are quite right, and the last thing I want to do is "kill" off ambition and derring do, but by this time next year, you will have to be certificated to work on oil burners just as in gas, I don't make the rules but I do abide by them.

Regards,

Rich.

Jenx..thanks for the input and you're quite right. I have worked on my oil boiler in the past and done most everything at one time or another including replacing the nozzle!

And I will continue to repair it as and when provided that the Stasi don't require me to produce a medieval Guild card when I next go in to buy a nozzle or control unit. Rules need to earn their respect, in my book, otherwise they get ignored and making it illegal to work on oil boilers smacks of yet more nanny-state and so two fingers to that.

Yep , my heating is on when I am in , turn it off 1 hour befor I go to bed :lol:

only on 15 , and I keep the doors in the house closed and only heat the rooms I use

by doing this my heating bill have reduced a lot , after 2 months the gas people owe me £73 :lol:

good ay :wink:

Jake":2fs4rvhb said:
How does the 21C come about? Interested because I'd find that uncomfortable especially at night - is there a way of 'setting' that at less with more air changes,reducing solar gain or something?

Good point Jake.......and sorry I didn't get to answer this last night....

Sleeping temperatures first:
In the summer, there is no problem. We aren't trying to preserve heat in the house in summer, so bedroom windows are open at night, and we benefit from sleeping in a cool draught.

In the middle of winter there is no problem, as the house is at a constant and comfortable temperature, and if the heating has been on, upstairs temperatures lag behind downstairs temperatures by a couple of hours.....and that one degree of difference makes bed-time temperatures quite pleasant.

The one time of the year when it can be a bit of a nuisance is the period that has just ended ......September/ October......when we close all the windows for the last time for the year, gain quite a lot of heat from the south-facing conservatory, and are looking to get the house as warm as possible before the onset of winter to delay the start of the heating season. Night-time temperatures of 22 are then possible, and we simply swap to a lighter weight duvet.

Now, you ask "why 21 degrees?

Well, the whole point of this house is to trap "waste" heat. The fridge and oven are pretty much enough between them to heat the house through the winter. Lights don't contibute much as they are mostly low-energy bulbs........but the computer makes a steady contribution.......as do our bodies. A normal adult gives off about a kilowatt of heat energy just walking around the house.....even the dog contributes. The conservatory is designed to maximise solar gain.......and we control whether that heat is let into the house (spring and autumn) or released to the outside air (summer). Trap all this heat well enough and most of the year the house is around 21 degrees. This is comfortable for sitting around in (and I work at home, so sit around in it all the time), yet not excessive for night-time, as discussed earlier.

A point that arises from all of the above is that our windows are permanently closed for about 7 months of the year. This is only possible because we have a ventilation system with heat-recovery. This sounds grand, but is basically a fan in a box with a whole lot of ducting and, critically, a heat exchanger.

This means that we have a constant supply of fresh air, at a controllable rate, which is pre-warmed by the waste heat from the extracted "stale" air. You have to learn that "fresh air" doesn't necessarily mean "cool air". This constant air-change means that the house is always fresh, there is never any condensation (get out of a hot shower in the middle of winter and the mirror isn't misted up.........you can shave straight away), there are no dog smells or cooking smells. The triple-glazing has no condensation (let alone ice!!!!) on it in the morning. This system also helps move the heat around the house, so all of the house is the same temperature...........go into the spare bedroom in the middle of the night in the middle of winter and it is the same temperature as the lounge.

This house has only 9 inches of insulation in the external walls, compared with the 12 I built into the house next door, but crucially, it has dense concrete blocks for the inner skin of the walls, bumping up the thermal mass available for storing warmth (and, incidentally "coolth" in the summer, when the house is pleasantly cool on even the hottest days). There is also 500mm of loft insulation in both houses.

I do whitter on, don't I?

Mike

Very interesting replies

Also some helpful advice from Jenx as i am with him totaly on the garden shed built technology made this country great. And before it all became controlled by computers how many of you like myself sorted our own cars out, can still remember changing the head gasket on my 2.8 Capri took me two days laying everything out as it came out but felt great to start her up knowing i had done it myself.

And Mike sorry i didn't see your thread before i started this one, and far from boring people i think you give advice that many of us enjoy reading and would happily speak for hours on this subject with you. Again garden shed time i have a dream in the back of my head of building my own house (ok not the bricks, electric etc) as i have found with research and taking my time there are very few jobs i can't turn my hand to. Ok i may take a lot longer than a professional but the satisfaction alone never mind the money saved is more than worth it.

Martin

I was a complete amateur when I built my first house, Martin. My only experience other than cricket had been making a bit of furniture.....

The key to the whole thing is finding a piece of land.......the rest is easy!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back