Do they never learn?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They did not say what happen to the dogs?
Around here if the dogs run then you run after them....or try to pass them...We really do not see a lot of stampeding cattle tho :? Deer yes we do!

No mention of the dogs G1. But even a ex government minister had a narrow escape a fortnight ago and every year some p**t gets themselves killed.
One of the daft things is that governmental advise is, when around farm stock keep dogs on a lead, fine!
But if you're daft enough to get into a situation like this the safe move is to slip the the dogs and let 'em run, cattle won't normally bother people but they don't like dogs around when they've got youngsters, same with Sheep.

Roy.

I think it's very easy for people to underestimate the reaction of cattle. With regard to "learning" - where do you learn about this stuff? It's a rare event, at least rare to make the news? You could argue that a degree of common sense should prevail but then equally I think someone could be forgiven for thinking "I'm sure it will be fine".

Of course, we could introduce a law to stop cows smoking in cars. Oh, sorry, that was another thread.

Not a case of 'learning' it Matt, I was taught it as a child, as was every child I knew.
I was also taught that you must never back up against anything solid as the animal will crush you, never approach an animal from the rear without letting it know you are approaching so as not to spook it.
We were also taught avoidance, for example, horses turn on the rear legs, cattle on their front, making cattle more maneuverable than horses.
But as was pointed out on another thread, with many people not even appreciating that milk comes from cattle, much lore has been lost!

Roy.

Sorry Roy I think you are being to simplistic on this issue,
I was dragged up in London where the only animal life we saw was a Sparrow coughing in the morning and no teaching about what to do around farm animals,
where I live now on the Surrey/Hants border a nature reserve has been created and the public encouraged to visit, cattle have been grazed in the fields in summer for a number of years and dog walkers (me included)
are requested to keep dogs on a lead,
There has to my knowledge never been an incident of cows stampeding and the cows are very calm and ignore dogs and owners until this year when a heard chased and terrified a lady walking a dog, I am not sure I would know what to do in this unexpected predicament.

Nigel

Regrettably Nigel too often these instruction are written by other than those who are raised in the country, keeping dogs on their lead is to stop them pestering farm stock, DEFRA's info doesn't bother to explain what to do if the situation is reversed.
If you must walk a dog near stock remember this, the average Limousin dairy cow weighs over half a ton! It is bigger than you and can run a damn sight faster! Loose the dog! It will probably find it's way back home before you do.
Better still, don't walk dogs in fields where cattle are grazing.
It may not reach the press that often Nigel but locally during the tourist season lucky escapes are frequent, and in almost all cases the victim tries to protect the dog, whereas releasing the dog will normally solve the problem as dogs are normally much more fleet than cattle.
We even had a woman killed by a Seal a few years ago, she wanted to make a fuss of the pup!

Roy.

Digit":1xubqm1k said:
Not a case of 'learning' it Matt, I was taught it as a child, as was every child I knew.
I was also taught that you must never back up against anything solid as the animal will crush you, never approach an animal from the rear without letting it know you are approaching so as not to spook it.
We were also taught avoidance, for example, horses turn on the rear legs, cattle on their front, making cattle more maneuverable than horses.
But as was pointed out on another thread, with many people not even appreciating that milk comes from cattle, much lore has been lost!

Roy.

Kinda my point. You asked "When will they learn" and it sounds as though we're in agreement that there is currently no avenue for education.

Digit":5r2u1w0t said:
If you must walk a dog near stock remember this, the average Limousin dairy cow weighs over half a ton! It is bigger than you and can run a damn sight faster!
The bulls are even heavier, up to about 900kg at 2 years. Another pointer I was given as a kid was that dairy bulls are much less passive than beef bulls and more likely to defend young calves, pregnant heifers and the like. Or mabbe that's just country lore

Even bullocks can be a problem. They might be castrated, but they put on weight very quickly and can be a bit boisterous, not to mention very inquisitive. It might be fun to watch a dozen young bullocks playing about in a field, but getting caught in the middle of such a group can be fatal.

That sums up my experience as well, and yet, apart from fatal injuries the worst injury I have come across was a horse bite.
Being vegetarians you don't normally connect horses with biting, but take my word for it, they can.

Roy.

It's a very scary experience being chased by a herd of cows, happened to me near to where I live. The cows decided to investigate who was walking in their field unfortunately it was a field with a steep slope and their intended 'investigation' turned into a stampede directly towards me. I just managed to hurridly climb over a metal gate before the first cow skidded to a halt hitting the gate and with others following it actually bent the gate where I could have been standing, now I stay out of fields with cows in! Nothing I've learnt in the past could have prepared me for such an event but, as I've said, I have learnt not to walk in fields with cows in or sheep for that matter as males can be extremely aggressive especially during mating season and being head butted by a fully grown male without horns is very painful indeed! :cry: :)

Yep! and I'm waiting to see who is gonna be the first person to fall foul of a Wild Boar, people forget that they used to be hunted from horse back because of the danger of meeting them on foot!

Roy.

I'm with you Dog, have been walking and biking through fields of cows and bulls and I try to avoid it whenever I can. Most times it's okay, but I've had inquisitive cows throng over to take a look and squash the stile I've just gone over and I've had bulls take a look with a lot more speed and had to leggit

The woman who was killed was a vet, according to the story in the Telegraph, so she wouldn't have been completely ignorant of how to behave around livestock. Perhaps just a tragic accident.

Having worked on a Dairy herd as a youngster,bulls are very big,we had Holstiens,Black and white patterns.My job was to help with berthing,milking,and driving them to the different fields to eat.In the breeding I had help from the head man.I wanted nothing to do with bringing the bull out,so I got to hold the cows leash.
As far as horses,I had those too...you never hand feed a horse,if you do you`ll get bit sometime as they are always looking for goodies.I got stepped on and that hurt.Never got bit tho...Always get up on the right side of horse.Always talk to horse it calms them....The more your around them the nicer they are to you....but they are one of the dumbest animals on the farm.

Latest posts

Back