DMT Diamond Stones- Perforated or Solid?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
Having been given Thomas Lie-Nielsen's book on sharpening for my birthday, I realise I have to take this much more seriously. I plan to use my existing bench grinder and buy a set of DMT stones, probably imported from Woodcraft.

However, as always, there are so many decisions! So, any recommendations as to whether the perforated or solid (continuous) stones are better - for results or for length of life? And will 8x3" be OK??

Many thanks in advance - Roy

I've used the perforated ones for years. The only snag with them is that very narrow blades (say quarter inch or narrower) can get caught in the perforations, so the continuous ones might be a better bet. I use mine with oil, not water. Mine are all 8"x3" which I find an ideal size.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I use the perforated ones and agree with Paul that smaller chisels can get caught in the holes, so I use a solid fine plate one for these - Rob

what kind of oil/liquid do you use? I always used water for my perforated stones, but some of them have an ugly color......like lite rust..... :x
Why DMT does not recommend oil and just water?

whybob71":28zzw5g5 said:
what kind of oil/liquid do you use? I always used water for my perforated stones, but some of them have an ugly color......like lite rust..... :x

I use WD40 or 3-in-1 but most oils would be OK. Prevents any rust on the stone, honing guide or blades and I find it less messy than water. DMT do now say that it's OK to use oil - which many of us found out for ourselves years ago :)

Paul

Paul Chapman":1r4d5du6 said:
whybob71":1r4d5du6 said:

I use WD40 or 3-in-1 but most oils would be OK. Prevents any rust on the stone, honing guide or blades and I find it less messy than water. DMT do now say that it's OK to use oil - which many of us found out for ourselves years ago :)

Paul

many thanks!! this is very usefull for me since I just bought two new 10" DMT stones since the old ones were just.....to old!!!

Thanks for the replies on this. I will go with solid; Paul's view - more diamonds for your bucks - sounds logical, given no over-riding reason not to.

Best wishes - Roy

Back