DML 24 Capacitor help please ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutzul

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My lathe has gradually stopped turning on start up, it hums but won't move, but if I use a piece of string to get it spinning it keeps going, so I guess from past experience that the capacitor has died.

The capacitor markings are :-
AUREX
220-275v 50/60 Hz
55-69 uF INTERMITTENT

The motor plate specs are:-
220-240v
W 259 A 2.5
50 Hz RTG INT

I have tried various google searches but the 'INTERMITTENT' word is lacking from the capacitors I've seen.
I don't want to buy a new motor if it's only the capacitor.
I've tried RS, Farnell and others but don't know if I need a start capacitor, or a start run capacitor.

I would welcome any help please.

Cheers

''Intermittent'' would suggest it's just intended for use as a start capacitor, so a start capacitor of the same rating would be my first thing to replace before thinking about a new motor.

... from here ... http://www.capacitorformotor.com/motor_ ... nterchange

''"Can a start capacitor be interchanged with a run capacitor?"
Yes and no. In unusual circumstances, a run capacitor could be used as a start capacitor, but the values available are much lower than the values usually available for dedicated start capacitors. The capacitance and voltage ratings would have to match the original start capacitor specification. A start capacitor can not ever be used as a run capacitor, because it could not handle current continuously (only a couple of seconds).''

So my new Start capacitor came this morning, and I fit it on my lathe. No difference at all, grrrr !

Recap:- Lathe will start itself on low speed, needs a spin by hand on mid speed, and needs a piece of string to get it spinning fast enough on high speed. Once it's spinning it keeps going, and I can turn with no problems.
Any ideas anyone?

I reckon to carry on with this lathe turning my rough blanks, till it's hammered to death.
Perhaps shelling out for a new Record lathe where parts may interchangeable.

I've contacted Record for a new motor price, but guesstimate that expense would be better being put towards a new lathe.

Comments anyone ? Thank you in anticipation :?

The fact the motor was fitted with an intermittent capacitor originally suggests that the motor has a centrifugal switch system fitted, did you normally hear a clunk and possibly a squeak when it stopped?

Take off the fan cover and look for a mechanical switch mechanism around the motor shaft, it could be that if there is one it has stuck open, spring broken or come off or the contacts are worn.

This would mean that the start capacitor is not in circuit for start up.

Update : So I took off the fan cover and looked for a mechanical switch mechanism around the motor shaft, everything looked okay, so just for the heck of it I put my vacuum nozzle where I could to suck any debris out.
Switched it on, on every gear setting, and it's back to working as intended.

My sincere thanks to CHJ & NazNomad for your help, CHEERS GUYS !!

Back