DIY Edgebanding 0.4 or 2.0mm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunky Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of ordering some MFC to make some workshop wall cabinets. I've been offered matching ABS edging tape in either 0.4mm or 2mm. Neither tape is pre-glued so I'll be using contact adhesive.
I'm leaning towards the more expensive (£35 vs £25) 2mm tape as I would think it's more durable but is it harder to fit and trim without edgebanding equipment??

Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Not sure about the 2mm stuff never done it, but my gut feeling is that its better left to a machine from a cutting service such as cut rights ( wrights carpentry) with MFC i normally use 0.6mm edging from http://www.edgeband.co.uk/22mm-white-ma ... dging.html

This stuff is 0.6mm. Its pre-glued and very easy to apply with an iron etc (over some see through baking sheet to protect)
I just cut the overlap to the ends first in an upright position then lay the board flat and take off the excess with a very sharp stanley blade. Takes a bit of practice but is very easy in the end.

Cheers

t

In addition......you will need to clamp the board upright to edge........I use a small festool MFC table that I made with their clamps.
You will also need to clamp the board when its flat so its nice and steady to trim off the waste. I use a bit of Kreg clamp trax with their bench clamps makes life very easy. Flip the board over trim the other side.

Back