Disposable Planer/Thickneser Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever get anywhere with this Custard? I give mine a hone in the block but it's just a tickle and only buys a bit of extra life.

I couldn't make it work unfortunately, lots of work but not much reward as they seemed to go dull very quickly afterwards.

I've tried the XCalliber (double sided) knives and that brings the cost of a knife swap down to about £13, at that price it's not really worth the faff of rolling your own.

custard":16wpdkzx said:
I couldn't make it work unfortunately, lots of work but not much reward as they seemed to go dull very quickly afterwards.

I've tried the XCalliber (double sided) knives and that brings the cost of a knife swap down to about £13, at that price it's not really worth the faff of rolling your own.

Saw those knives. So you would recommend them?

I gauge knife life by noting how many sacks of extractor waste I take out between knife changes, not very scientific I know but it's the best I can do. XCalliber seem to fall mid way between the cheaper (ho, ho, ho) Felder knives and the more expensive Felder ones, but their prices are lower than either of the Felder offerings.

If I know I'll be working a big job in a difficult timber then I'll generally bite the bullet and fit the more expensive Felder knives, just so there's less disruption when the job's underway. Otherwise I mainly use Xcalliber now.

Latest posts

Back