Disc sander versus belt and disc sander combo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone any advice/comments on the relative merits of these two types of sanders? I'm thinking of investing in one after Christmas but can't decide between the two - the 12" disc sanders seem to be more powerful but cost more than the combination machines - but then again the combination machines look like they all have noisy brush motors. I have no experience of either type of machine so if any of you can offer yours it would be gratefully received.
Happy Christmas all
Cheers
Stewart

Hi Stewart

Both types have their advantages and disadvantages. For example a disc sander with a tiltlig table is much easier to use when adding the 5 degree or so taper to the edge of a Shaker box then a belt sander/linisher (which is actually too aggressive), whereas a disc sander will leave impossible to eradicate sanding swirl marks on flat pieces and has extremely limited capacity. Perhaps it would help if you could give us some details of the type of work you intend to do on a sander.

One thinjg I would say is that a sander normally has to run for longish periods and an induction motor is therefore very desireable (as is a good extractor, cough, cough)

Scrit

Hi Scrit
Thanks for the reply. Mostly I'll be using it to sand small boxes and parts of - I suppose my joinery should be better so that there aren't uneven edges but at the moment it ain't!
So from your comments I suppose the belt/disc option would be better...
Cheers
Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I have a small disc/belt sander, Delta I think, and it has it's uses, but is extremely noisy in operation.

The 6" disc is too small for most operations, bearing in mind you only use the upper left quadrant of the disc, and the belt is to aggressive and innacurate for most operations !

I would be tempted to go for a decent 12" induction motored disc if I were you and planning to use it for tidying up end grain work, or make yourself a shooting board and do it with your hand plane the proper way (like I should !!!).

Cheers, Paul. :ho2

Back