Disaster..so close to this months challenge!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soylent1

Established Member
Reaction score
Filled with inspiration I fired up the lathe to turn something for this months challenge and then.... disaster struck! the V belt failed! (and very close to the challenge entry date!)

Fortunately I have been practicing, and as a result I have a couple of items that I could submit. So I will still be entering, but not exactly what I had in mind.

Attachments

• La01.jpg
    La01.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,015
Excuses Excuses get down to your local car parts shop and buy another :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a b----r good job you had some backups I am also on number three the first one I broke in half :twisted:

Can't find the second half of my first attempt, it got too fine and flew off at 2500 revs never to be seen again!

Phil

Might I suggest you purchase two replacements, that way you will still have an unnecessary and unused spare when you eventually sell the lathe.

Dalboy":2sh7f4r1 said:
Excuses Excuses get down to your local car parts shop and buy another :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a b----r good job you had some backups I am also on number three the first one I broke in half :twisted:

I'll take full advantage of an excuse when it arises! :wink: As for my local car parts shop, I live in rural Wales if you don't drive a tractor of some form they're not interested! :lol:

I wouldn't class them as backups, more along the lines of superseded prototypes (there I go with the excuses again :lol: )

Soylent1":jowo0git said:
Dalboy":jowo0git said:

I'll take full advantage of an excuse when it arises! :wink: As for my local car parts shop, I live in rural Wales if you don't drive a tractor of some form they're not interested! :lol:

I wouldn't class them as backups, more along the lines of superseded prototypes (there I go with the excuses again :lol: )

You never know the tractor belts may fit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously hope you get it repaired soon :wink:

CHJ":3qa3eado said:
Might I suggest you purchase two replacements, that way you will still have an unnecessary and unused spare when you eventually sell the lathe.

That's a good idea, I might just buy four or five as I couldn't possibly sell my lathe :shock: :shock: just the thought of it makes me want to sit in a corner of the workshop and sharpen some old saw I'll never use :cry:

Random Orbital Bob":2o7bl0df said:
pair of old tights....don't be such a big girls blouse :)

What's all this talk about tights and blouses?? :oops: :oops: :oops: I thought woodturning was quite a masculine thing to do?

I cracked a pulley which in turn shredded the belt just before christmas, one week before I was due to do a craft fair. I ordered a belt from here - http://www.snaintonwoodworking.com/inde ... athes.html - along with a new pulley from axi. (from the picture the innards of your lathe look like mine) Both came the next next day and was back up and running again within 24 hours..... Just saying! ;)

Woodmonkey":19tdtjww said:
I cracked a pulley which in turn shredded the belt just before christmas, one week before I was due to do a craft fair. I ordered a belt from here - http://www.snaintonwoodworking.com/inde ... athes.html - along with a new pulley from axi. (from the picture the innards of your lathe look like mine) Both came the next next day and was back up and running again within 24 hours..... Just saying! ;)

That's great Woodmonkey. Unfortunately I don't think the link is working?? Is your lathe a Fox?

Mod Edit:-- Link is fine.

It works for me now?
darn computer! sorry about that! Thanks again Woodmonkey, I'll be ordering a couple of belts later tonight.
Tony

Thanks Chas,
That belt works out about £2.00 cheaper. I think I'll give Axminster a ring, just to confirm It'll fit?

Thanks again to all for the help!

Back