digital thickness dial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
I would quite like to fit a digital dial to my planer thicknesser. This model from felder seems to be ideal for the job as 1 full turn is 2mm which is the same as the planer. http://www.felder-tooling.co.uk/digital ... zeige.html you can buy a system handwheel that these guages fit into for £28. Can any felder owners offer any opinions on this?

This is the hand wheel on the planer

griggio-01800x598.jpg

Is it simply the case of removing the wheel and installing the handwheel and dial onto the shaft and bobs your uncle or is there anything ive missed.

Cheers

Jon

Jonny
I have one on my hammer combi I just changed the original handwheel. I would think bobs right it is all about shaft size

They are very good though just set the size on the wheel feed the timber in right every time down to 1/10th of a mm or less

what size is the shaft on your PT

Jonny,

On my Felder I simply removed one hand wheel and replaced it with the digi read out one. They were about £35 but that was about 8-9 yrs ago. Very accurate and provides repeatable sttings. Accuracy is about 0.1 of a mm. Good value. If your thinking about a using one on a non-Felder machine then I don't know how it would fit, shaft size is the issue and you may need bushing of some kind.

regards
Alan

Thanks for the replies It seems the guages are well thought off.

This is the shaft with the handwheel removed its 25mm diameter and is only 22mm long and looks like it will be a pain to remove it to turn it down etc. and is probably not long enough anyway

griggio-03800x598.jpg

In the end of the shaft is a M10 thread which i thought could be used to attach a 20mm shaft with an M10 thread on it and then it could be welded on to secure it.

Cheers

Jon

Your machine does not look like a Felder.

You should also look at the Wixey web site. They offer some interesting scales with digital readout for fitting to a P/T or a saw or etc etc etc.

regards
Alan

beech1948":3ou2vs6v said:
Your machine does not look like a Felder.

You should also look at the Wixey web site. They offer some interesting scales with digital readout for fitting to a P/T or a saw or etc etc etc.

regards
Alan

Ive had a look ay the wixey stuff and they look good but i think the potential for getting accidently damaged is quite high in my busy workshop and i thought the dial in the handwheel would be more robust.

The machine doesnt look like a felder because its a griggio this is it after being delivered to the workshop

planer01.jpg

cheers

Jon

One other thing to check Jon is how the inserted dial is located to stop it turning when you turn the handwheel. I can't quite visualise how that will work?

Bob

Back